The first real experience most integrators have with a VMS is installing the software. Immediate issues can create a bad impression. Worse, challenges can lead to integrators giving up in favor of an easier to install products.
Installation impacts ongoing operations as well. The longer and more complex a VMS is to install, the more it costs, the more likely something goes wrong, and the less likely it can be delegated to a junior tech.
In this report, we share our test findings of installing Milestone, Genetec, Avigilon, Exacq, Network Optix and Video Insight VMSes.
Key questions answered:
- What is the availability of the installer / installation files?
- How large was the installer and how long did it take to download and install?
- How complex was the set up process and what could go wrong?
- What add-ons or modules were separate that might cause issues or confusion later?
- What is the licensing process and what delays might one experience?