HDcctv: Non-IP Megapixel Coming to Video Surveillance?By John Honovich, Published May 16, 2009, 08:00pm EDT
Will non-IP cameras soon provide megapixel resolution? It sounds strange and almost a contradiction in terms. Today, only IP cameras provide anything above standard resolution (like 720p, 1080p, 1.3MP and 2MP cameras).
A new industry group, called the HDcctv Alliance, has been formed to promote the development of a non-IP megapixel standard and the release of products based on that standard.
The Importance of Megapixel
Megapixel is the strongest growth driver in the industry today:
- Industry professionals voted megapixel as the top emerging technology trend
- I recommend megapixel as the best way to grow video surveillance sales
- Users are really excited when they watch demos of megapixel cameras
- I believe it is the strongest motivator for switching to IP Video
Megapixel cameras are very important both for end users looking to improve security and video surveillance businesses seeking to strengthen their competitive business.
The Potential Advantages of Eliminating IP
If you could bring megapixel to cameras without IP, there are a number of IP camera problems that could be eliminated:
- Reduce the technical complexity and training needs to set up IP cameras
- Re-use existing analog cabling and connectors
- Lower the price of cameras and system cost for deployments under 32 cameras (the majority of deployments globally)
Given that 80% of users today still buy standard definition analog, many users still feel the pain from these problems.
Abilities that this Technology Needs to Prove
That's the potential but there are serious technical issues that need to be demonstrated with non-IP megapixel:
- Existing DVRs will not be able to support non-IP megapixel without new capture cards (essentially requiring new DVRs)
- Can RG-59 cabling be reused? Will non-IP megapixel run the same distance as standard definition? If you cannot reuse the same cabling or if the distances are decreased significantly, this will significantly reduce value.
- Will the price of analog megapixel cameras really be lower and by how much?
If the analog manufacturers can rally around a singular standard, this will help significantly. Analog megapixel has been tried before by Covi. However, they were proprietary and too early, resulting in an implosion [link no longer available].
What Will happen to non-IP Megapixel?
1 report cite this report:
Back to Top