GunShot Analytics DemoedBy: John Honovich, Published on Nov 10, 2009
A manufacturer of gunshot analytics, SpotShotter [link no longer available], has released a 3 minute video demo that overviews and shows their system. The city of Richmond CA used as an example in the demo. Key points mention in the demo include:
- Sensors put on top of building
- Alerts can distinguish between single or multiple gunshots
- The system records the sound for playback by operator
- While Officers can hear shots on the street they claim it can be difficult for them to determine where exactly the shot is from
- SpotShotter claims they can pinpoint the location of the shot (e.g., gunshot on the middle of a roof)
- Can filter out ambient noise (e.g., claims can distinguish between firecracker and gunshot). They do not mention how well it filters out and how frequently false gunshots are detected.
- A benefit cited is to save lives of gunshot victims by sending out responders quicker and more precisely
As we have no experience with this technology, we can neither validate nor critique the claims made. The full video is embedded below.