Often, industry professionals will warn about three problems with using domes:
- The dome bubble degrades image quality
- The degradation is worse with megapixel cameras
- The degradation is worse through the side of the dome bubble rather than the center
But is this true?
We tested six cameras from four different manufacturers in multiple scenes, through both the center and side of the dome to find out.
We answered these key questions:
- How much practical impact do minidome bubbles actually have on image quality?
- Do different regions of the dome vary in the resolution they can deliver?
- Do they impact multi-megapixel cameras more than typical HD 720p/1080p cameras?