In 2018, China's facial recognition systems for identifying jaywalkers became global news. But what has happened in the few years since?
In this report, we examine the 2021 market for China facial recognition jaywalking systems, including:
- Examining the process of punishing jaywalkers including automated and manual actions
- Sharing feedback from Dahua, Tiandy, and Uniview engineers on these systems' challenges
- Detailing the providers of these systems including Hikvision
- Estimating how broadly these systems are being used and their growth rate
- Explaining how punishment works for jaywalkers
- Elaborating on the appeals process
- Habit building as a key purpose of systems
- How local governments ppost jaywalkers on social media
- What netizens concerns are
For our original coverage on these systems, see IPVM's "China Jaywalking Facial Recognition Guide".