Axis Q4 2010 Results ExaminedAuthor: John Honovich, Published on Feb 02, 2011
Axis's financial results continue to improve, finishing a strong 2010 with its best quarter in a few years. In local currency terms, Axis's Q4 2010 revenue was up 40% over Q4 2009. Looking forward, Axis stated outlook was bullish calling for 25-30% network video growth for the next few years and continued expansion.
- Total sales for the year were 2993 SEK or ~$460 Million USD
- All regions experience strong growth: interestingly the Americas was strongest at 46% growth while Asia growth was the slowest of the three regions at 'only' 26% (both measured in local currency terms); this defies some conventional wisdom about Asia's growth, however, we are not sure if this speaks more to Axis's strength in the US or weakness in Asia
- Margins were down across the board: for example, gross margins down 2 points (from 52.5% to 50.5%) and profit margin down 4 points (from 18.2% to 14.2%); Axis cited increased competition and negative currency exchange as driving forces here
- Axis hired aggressively throughout 2010, growing their workforce by about 18% to over 900 employees worldwide
- Between Q3 and Q4 2010, R&D investment spiked ~25%, one of the largest quarter over quarter gains in recent history; this may signal a new round of major product releases following a relative quiet period in H2 2010 (for Axis's standards)
- Axis highlighted AVHS in their presentation; while not making specific financial claims, they positioned it for smaller businesses, this is the first time we've seen AVHS with a dedicated page in their financial reports
The results quite clearly show that Axis is doing well as is the overall IP camera market.
Most Recent Industry Reports
The world's leading video surveillance information source, IPVM provides the best reporting, testing and training for 10,000+ members globally. Dedicated to independent and objective information, we uniquely refuse any and all advertisements, sponsorship and consulting from manufacturers.