China's e-commerce and cloud services giant Alibaba has bought 15% of the shares of Uniview's parent company, TransInfo, in a deal worth ~$500 million.
The move means Uniview is now partly-owned by Alibaba, 'the Amazon of China' and the second-largest Chinese company by market cap (currently worth ~$400 billion). This comes at a time when Alibaba is expanding into the video surveillance / AI market.
In this note, we examine the deal and its impact on video surveillance, including:
- Deal and cloud partnership overviewed
- Uniview's financials examined
- How this can help Uniview
- What Alibaba is doing in security / video surveillance
- Why this is a challenge to Dahua and Hikvision