Youth Sports And Video Surveillance

John Scanlan
May 25, 2017
IPVM • IPVMU Certified

I was at a baseball tournament for one of my sons recently and the facility had HiCast Sports Network setup. A camera behind home plate:

a mobile app to select your venue and which field at that venue you would like to view:

and access to the video:

Have you seen (or installed) anything similar?

(1)
Jeffrey Hinckley
May 25, 2017

We are starting to see more of this.  With Axis cameras, you can output in rtmp to a streaming service (youtube, twitch) or a server distribution service (wowza, dacast) where you can develop your own service.  You can also use wirecast or obs to broadcast a multi camera broadcast.  i have been playing around with wirecast and rtsp streams from existing cameras.  Works good.  Most school ip cameras are good to go with rtsp into wirecast/obs.  You can broadcast directly to youtube/twitch/facebook or other 3rd party streaming services  (the cube).  Wowza is pretty awesome.  Lookup their extensive video training on Youtube or Telestream (wirecast).  Obs Studio (gamers stream with this) is free, so you can play around with streaming secondary streams (rtsp) from existing ip cameras.  I built a basement studio with green screen, lights, wireless usb microphones, and 1080 usb and ip cameras for less than 500 bucks.  (does not include the computer).

Camstreamer with Axis (300 bucks) is an easy single camera streamer application if a school did not want to invest in a 3rd party distribution service.  The could pass on the streaming links via their website.

http://www.nfhsnetwork.com/

We see many of our northeast highschool playoff games here.  I suspect they may be using something like wowza or dacast to host this on amazon cloud.

(5)
WH
Wendy Ham
Oct 13, 2017

Hi Jeffrey, I'm from a company in NYC that is developing a similar service to HiCast Sports above, but focusing on tennis. I'm still doing a lot of research in this area, and you seem to know a lot about this topic. Can I contact you privately to discuss the possibility of you helping us as an advisor? 

Thank you!
Wendy

Marc Pichaud
May 26, 2017

We have the same type of sport cameras proposed by Service providers to Tennis clubs here in France.

On certain courts, you can get your game analyse for free (paid by the club, I imagine) , on the cloud. Just enter your email before starting the recording. A single camera can cover the court, at 6 meters high. It can detect if the ball is inside or not. I don't know the brand, resolution and fps yet. I will investigate

(1)
Marc Pichaud
May 26, 2017

This is rented to the club +/- 2250 euro  for indoor equipement (FullHD Camera at 6 meters  + a rugged PC and monitor) Then 175€/month for the club  for lite option and 350€ /month to  provide it free to players (so what I get from my club)

It should work in low resolution because they require only a 500 Kbit/s Wifi upload to the cloud to work ... when you see the deep statistics , and ball paths, you imagine what we could do in video surveillance with a centralized brain fro analytics..... few actors  propose that right now (only low end tracking)

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions