Your 'Opinion' On Your Company And Its Competitors Is Not 'Personal'

JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2017
IPVM

More and more people comment on social media. One problem we increasingly see is the excuse that goes:

Just because I say positive things about my employer, it totally has nothing to do with them being my main source of income, I just personally believe it

Subconsciously or not, one's paycheck influences one views. And in the case of an employee, the financial connection is extreme since most employees make almost all their money from their one employer.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 02, 2017
IPVM

Here is a recent example of this:

Certainly, people will have opinions on their company's business but it is silly to say that such opinions are just 'personal'.

The same goes for IPVM. If, for example, Ethan posts his opinion on his favorite philosopher on social media, that is pretty clear his 'personal' opinion but any opinion he holds about video surveillance issues can not be excused as 'personal.'

Indeed, this is a reason why many companies have social media policies that regulate or restrict 'personal' posting on 'industry' matters.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2017
IPVM

Update: the person above listed his current employer as Hikvision Europe. He has now deleted Hikvision from his profile, in an attempt to hide the fact. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions