Would You Use Axis Bird Spikes?

Brian Rhodes
Oct 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Axis has a new accessory: Bird Control Spikes

The idea is that the spike discourages birds from squatting or nesting on camera housings. However, this is done at the expense of making your cameras look like medieval battlements.

They also can complicate maintainence by hindering techs from swinging open housings or unbolting lids.

I found them priced for about $35 USD for a set of 10 (about one foot each), but you can find similar offerings on Amazon for about $15 for ten feet.

What do you think of the idea? Worth using? If not, what works better?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Definitely worth it. Come across one mite infested habitat and you'll never want to chance it again. I found out the hard way.

For some strange reason right after I took Google's bait and upgraded my Dropcam Pro, my door mantle became 'the' place to roost in town. Maybe they run hotter? Spikes solved the problem, as you can see:

Hal Bennick
Oct 01, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

Seems overpriced for a very common product. Not sure why I would want an Axis brand spikey thing when I can get these at Home Depot for a lot cheaper.

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 01, 2015

Not sure why I would want an Axis brand spikey thing when I can get these at Home Depot for a lot cheaper.

The Home Depot ones aren't fully integrated with the latest firmware and only have generic driver support in Milestone.

(8)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Oct 01, 2015
IPVMU Certified

that is the toughest looking housing around... fortunately I have never had an issue with birds roosting on surveillance cameras... if I do I know where to go.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Oct 02, 2015
IPVMU Certified

If not, what works better?

How about install a piezo speaker or buzzer into the housing and set it on a timer to go off every hour... a lot of business around here install speakers into the eaves and gabel ends of buildings that play a really annoying noise every hour to scare away birds and to keep them from nesting...

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions