U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 14, 2016
IPVMU Certified
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 14, 2016

This is a tough one as it is a good product. I put "maybe". Milestone makes a good product and I enjoy the ability to basically fit any end goal without having to learn to code. If I intended to be there for 2 years it's a definite yes but for the long term I lean more towards no. There have been many good moves as of late:

• Elimination of Enterprise
  • Eliminating GO and upping the freebie level features to essentials.
  • Some of the non-M10 Husky units are interesting. They're worth a look.
  • Streamlining of product line
  • Buildout of the dashboard features based upon feedback
  • ONVIF Bridge is interesting once developed further. Lots of potential usage by AV integrators.
  • Superb license and Care package management.
  • The pseudo app store model holds promise if widely adopted.

However, from an outsider perspective I would be concerned about some of the external facing challenges long-term:

• Use of distribution-only adds cost and complexity but minimal value to software.
  • Purchase by Canon with murky goals.
  • Axis competing on the entry and SMB level.
  • Increasingly long support queues each year.
  • Pressure on the "Care" package premise from Avigilon and VI.
  • Cost of training increases cost of entry for integrators, limiting adoption
  • Decreasing costs of VMS in general - VI, Hikvision, etc.
  • Husky M10 is a tough sell.
  • Current partner system is challenging to create a complete, low maintenance, functional integration. Milestone is becoming more PSIM-like with all the PSIM challenges to go with it. The Community/app store may help solve this and enable partners to sell their product more due to ease of implementation.
  • Protracted development of product between 2014 and 2016 releases. This made Care packages seem hollow.

I would like to see Milestone continue to succeed as an open platform. It is needed to compete against Genetec.

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions