Would You Take A Job At Axis? (2016 - Old)

JH
John Honovich
Sep 20, 2016
IPVM

Comments inside, first vote:

(2)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 20, 2016
IPVM

This is the companion poll for Would You Take A Job At Hikvision?. Trying to get a sense of comparison. We can do others, Avigilon, Arecont, etc.

Feel free to explain your rationale in the comments.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 20, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, and hell yes!

(3)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Sep 21, 2016

No matter what, Axis looks good on a resume. As long as you don't leave too quickly.

(2)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 21, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Same as the Hikvision vote, maybe. Would it be more desirable than the equivalent Hik job? Maybe a little for resume purposes.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Sep 21, 2016

I would like to see new poll :)

Would You Take A Job At IPVM?

(5)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 21, 2016
IPVM

3, we would love to have you ;)

(1)
Michael Silva
Sep 21, 2016
Silva Consultants

I think it all depends on where you are at along the arc of your career. I would always encourage a younger person to start off at a larger, well-known company such as Axis if possible. It's a great way to learn rapidly, and as others have said, it looks great on a resume. An older, more experienced person, particularly one coming from a smaller company, might find a company such as Axis to be too bureaucratic and stifling.

(8)
(4)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Axis may be one of the few network camera companies that doesn't require any experience in either networks or cameras.

These are the requirements for an open RSM position, for instance

(2)
(2)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Sep 21, 2016
IPVM

Axis may be one of the few network camera companies that doesn't require any experience in either networks or cameras.

And that is the irony. Hikvision hires a far higher percentage of people with significant industry experience than Axis.

(1)
(1)
Oleksiy Zayonchkovskyy
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Probably... depends on many factors... per project will suit me perfectly... )))

U
Undisclosed #4
Sep 21, 2016

No, and here's why...

1) Compensation is some of the lowest I've ever seen, indicative of why they hire outside the industry.

2) With so much talk about one manufacturer being arrogant, or another, Axis rarely comes under fire for the tone or nature of their interview process. Whether it's making an interviewee perform a 20-minute PPT presentation on Axis (I refused), or telling (threatening) an interviewee they will look up their tax filings to verify their past income (I provided copies of my W-2s in my rejection letter to Axis & ALC Consulting), if they act like this during the interview phase, I can't imagine how often I'd be taking it in the shorts once I'm working for them.

(6)
(2)
(11)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

...or telling (threatening) an interviewee they will look up their tax filings to verify their past income.

Donald Trump voted no for this very reason.

(1)
(6)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #10
Sep 26, 2016

1) Compensation is some of the lowest I've ever seen, indicative of why they hire outside the industry

Spot on. I have several friends working there in sales and they are making "Office Eqt." type comp. (must be leftover from Axis roots in their printer sales days)

I've also heard they keep Air, hotel and meal allowances on a pretty tight leash.

So if you enjoy eating a Big Mac in your luxurious Motel 6 room after a 2 connection flight, then Axis is the place for you

(1)
(1)
(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

So if you enjoy eating a Big Mac in your luxurious Motel 6 room after a 2 connection flight, then Axis is the place...

And if you prefer Red Robin at the Red Roof Inn after a Red Eye, then Hik is the place...

(3)
(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Sep 21, 2016

Maybe

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Sep 21, 2016

Talked to them several years ago, and the pay was lackluster at best.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #7
Sep 22, 2016

If you ain't vanilla, you won't be what they consider 'a fit' for their culture.

I applied for a position there going on 2 years ago - they flew me up to Boston - and it quickly became evident to me that - although I most certainly entertained them - I was not vanilla enough for them to consider hiring me.

I am a lot of things - but 'vanilla' ain't one of them.

(2)
(1)
(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I was not vanilla enough for them to consider hiring me.

Axis is an Equal Oppurtunity Employer, and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex or disability. Flavor is not mentioned.

(1)
(10)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Sep 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

NO, Too much attitude that we (AXIS) are right no matter what the industry says.

(1)
(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

So the man who buys the cheapest cameras cannot be bought?

(1)
(6)
Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 22, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

If you think Hikvision is the cheapest, you really know very little about the market.

(2)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 22, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Are there any cheaper sold thru distribution in the U.S. ?

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 22, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Of course there are.

(1)
(2)
Hal Bennick
Sep 22, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

OK, I'll bite. Who is selling IP cameras cheaper than Hik through disti in the US? Is there a distributor carrying Longsee?

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

He has no incentive to reveal his sources, especially less well known ones. Probably making a killing with it.

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I found out who is cheaper here.

To recap then

1. Dahua is cheaper than Hik
  2. Marty buys Hik
  3. Therefore Marty won't work at Axis
(1)
U
Undisclosed #9
Sep 23, 2016

You make fun of Marty, and I don't always agree with him, but here he is absolutely correct! I do speak from experience...

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I believe Marty about Axis' arrogance, what seemed surprising was his capital NO rejection of Axis employment.

Marty struck me as an emminently practical fellow, and if the money was sufficient, the type that would pick up his paycheck and 'laugh all the way to the bank'.

I'm apparently wrong.

U
Undisclosed #9
Sep 23, 2016

The only thing you are wrong about is that Axis would offer anyone "sufficient" monies to make it worthwhile to deal with the US management.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

The only thing you are wrong about is that Axis would offer anyone "sufficient" monies to make it worthwhile to deal with the US management.

Ah, ok. I was assuming Marty would be US management.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #8
Sep 22, 2016

naw, seems innovation is lost there.

(1)
BH
Brian Havekost
Sep 26, 2016

Sometimes it is easy to say no; such as when an offer is from a company where you disagree with the company philosophy or don't think the product or service is of appropriate quality and value.

If you will work for the company, then the question is if the position, duties, and compensation package are appropriate.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 26, 2016
IPVM

So the net/net is that the majority of IPVM members would like to work for Axis, except that Axis pays poorly and wouldn't hire you anyway because you have too much industry experience :)

(3)
(6)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #11
Sep 26, 2016

I think everyone I know at Axis would agree their pay is lackluster as was termed prior, but in the past that was offset by a positive work environment that the Swedish culture provided. I'd work for a little less money to be happy. However, I'm sure that culture is changing under Canon....and quickly.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 29, 2016
IPVMU Certified

However, I'm sure that culture is changing under Canon....and quickly.

(1)
(1)
Ricardo Souza
Sep 28, 2016
Motorola Solutions • IPVMU Certified

Yes. It surely would look good on resume but I would also consider if pay and benefits are good.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #12
Mar 19, 2019

Can anyone update on working at Axis these some 3 years later? What would be the results of a pole now...Asking for a friend...?

U
Undisclosed #4
Mar 19, 2019

Definitely not the prettiest girl is the room anymore.  While I HAVE seen recent moves by Axis to keep their customer base around by budgeting for deeper discounts on some national end-user projects, their incessant shortages, saturated distribution channels, and higher price point continue to chip away at their market share.  

Since the start of this thread, I’ve been asked a SECOND time to join their team. I think their employees are VERY well taken care of, but they’re certainly underpaid, although Axis is quick to point out that their various employee benefits equate to higher overall earnings.

If your friend is far enough along that he’s seen the color of their money, and the offer is a satisfactory one, I would still recommend making the move to Axis.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions