Would You Install A Bullet Or Dome Here?

Brian Rhodes
Feb 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Look at this Avigilon H4 Bullet installed on concrete:

The solar shield on the bullet here begs the question: Why not a dome instead?

I've seen countless bullets or box cameras knocked out of alignment by bouncing a ball off them or swinging a bag and knocking them sideways.  A flush mount dome often mitigates that risk and is a smaller target for tampering.

The cabling here isn't in rigid, and lacks a functional driploop, but does not look like a future problem. Am I wrong?

What would you use here? Why?

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 16, 2017

I am becoming a firm believer, for my area at least, that bullets or turrets are the only feasible options for outdoors. Domes will blur at night from the residue on lens. 

(2)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That's interesting.  What is the residue you see most often?  Dust? Waterspots?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 17, 2017

A huge percentage of our work is within several hundred yards or feet of the ocean or bay. Its a brutal salty moisture mix. 

(4)
MM
Michael Miller
Feb 16, 2017

Brian, I was waiting for you to post one of our installs.  What makes you think this is concrete and why would it need a drip loop?  Also based off this pic what do you think this camera is looking at? 

This is why I alway chuckle when people comment on photos of installs which they know nothing about. 

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Feb 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I didn't know this was your install.  Why did you choose the model you did? 

Is this EFIS and not concrete?  

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 17, 2017

Is the camera about 45 degrees off angle?  Or is that just a perspective issue?

I would have used a some, but there are very valid points here about the flat glass being desirable that I never considered.  If it helps with dirt/dust buildup I would sure prefer them over domes if I were the customer.

DP
Donald Peters
Feb 16, 2017
IPVMU Certified

That's EFIS for sure.

Armando Perez
Feb 17, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

When I saw this pic a few weeks ago I actually thought it was done in a very nice clean and well thought out way. I brought my lead tech in and I said, Hey, what flexible conduit is that? Then I emailed Michael and asked him where he buys it. Then we switched to using that instead of the difficult to work stuff we had been using. Then I called him a couple of weeks later and talked about all kinds of stuff (including avigilon) for a couple of hours. 

Never once thought it should have been a dome or needed a drip loop.

(2)
AS
Ashley Schofield
Feb 17, 2017

I would always recommend a bullet for outside.

1) flat glass for the lens to look through
2) no internal IR reflection (after the stupid rubber rings fail or degrade)

however i would have done the cabling a bit different so there was less underside flex showing...

(1)
(1)
AS
Ashley Schofield
Feb 17, 2017

How i would have cabled it...

(2)
(2)
MM
Michael Miller
Feb 17, 2017

We have since added a second camera at this location.  These are Avigilon 5MP H4 3-9mm and 9-22mm bullets covering a 400ft sidewalk.  The cameras are mounted back side of a large overhang and when you walk into the main entrance from the parking lot you can't even see the cameras.  Went with bullets because: 

• You have to be on a 10ft step ladder to reach them
  • Less install time compared to dome cameras and more aiming flexibility 
  • Better IR then domes (though cameras stay in color 24/7
  • Less maintenance compared to domes. 

Below is an export from the cameras (sorry can't show the full image). The stop sign is 400ft out.

3mm

22mm

(6)
U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 17, 2017

What you really mean to say here is that the vertical viewing angle of Avigilon dome cameras is total garbage. And, the vertical viewing angle of their IR dome cameras is totally unusable.

To note, I say this as an Avigilon fan. I install a ton of it. But, I absolutely loathe their viewing angles on their domes.

(1)
(3)
Jon Dillabaugh
Feb 17, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Honestly, there isn't enough data here to really critique the install, but nothing stands out as incorrect IMO. As far as a drip loop, the penetration and device are both higher than the conduit, so how is this ineffective in any way?

As for dome vs bullet, it all depends on height, which I can't tell from the given POV. Anything under 10ft is dome or turret for me. Anything above could be what looks the best. If the client doesn't care about esthetics, or values performance over esthetics, a bullet would be my choice too.

Paul Grefenstette
Feb 17, 2017

I prefer bullets with IR for most outdoor applications - Mike good looking clean install.  Who makes that flex and what info are you adding to your sticker I see on the bottom of that bullet?

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 17, 2017

The stickers have numbers with a barcode on them that work with Connectwise.  Our techs can scan the barcodes from their phones to view all the info about the device.  We track warranty info, install notes, service notes, and settings of the device. 

cS
chris Snyder
Feb 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I just want to thank everyone for the positive installation comments.

EP
Eddie Perry
Feb 17, 2017

I have read some of the comments and I am not familiar with Avigilon's product line but It really depends on what you need to look at more often than not.

If that bullet has better lenses in it than it's dome counter part go for it. If it needs a Box camera, special housing, and a full blown 22mm-200mm tele-zoom lens then its going to look bulkier than that.

Generally people want functionally more than atheistics. Although I have taken some cameras apart and painted them to match the building or blend in with them.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions