Subscriber Discussion

Would You Disqualify A Candidate Who Came To The Interview In A Competitor's Work Vehicle?

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 17, 2017

I've had this discussion with a couple of integrators recently and I'm curious how everyone feels. Interviewing techs for an open position, they have had candidates come to the interview in their current work van from local competition. In at least one case, during business hours of said competition.

Would you hire a candidate that did this? I understand that schedules are hectic and dropping off the van and getting your personal vehicle takes time, but it just doesn't sit right with me. I wouldn't want someone to do it to me/my company. Is this just how it is and I'm overreacting to it?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 17, 2017

Personally, I would not do this just a matter of professionalism. Doing it during work hours seems highly unscrupulous.  They should not be paid to look for work.  However, with schedules being what they are I suppose being there after hours / at lunch / early morning are probably something I would look the other way on.

(3)
RS
Robert Shih
Apr 17, 2017
Independent

On the one hand, your second paragraph is as valid as it gets. On the other hand, a good tech is kept busy. More importantly, how good is your competition and how much do you know about that entity?

It's a case by case basis. You can certainly dock the guy some points at the beginning of the interview for sure for this, but you can also read other cues as far as his apparel, attitude, and attentiveness. If he's a good tech that hasn't gotten his fair due at the other joint, you're probably able to overlook the initial presentation.

(2)
Luis Carmona
Apr 18, 2017
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

I agree with Rob. It's a good opportunity to test his presence of mind- does he realize the perception and have a reasonable explanation for it...

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 17, 2017
IPVM

I added a poll question. Also, changed the title / question to 'disqualify' because that's what I think you mean, i.e., would that move (coming in a competitor's work vehicle) disqualify him immediately or would it depend on the rest of the interview.

To me, it's a yellow flag but I would want to understand why. Is the person reckless? Is the person simply naive about such appearances and can be coached? etc.

(2)
U
Undisclosed
Apr 18, 2017

If the tech is good and they're busy then perhaps more effort needs to go into scheduling the interview.  Go to the Starbucks across the street from that giant donut where the tech is installing panels this week?

Using company equipment to drive to a job interview is likely out of policy.  How were you gonna write that up if you backed into the patrol robot in the parking lot?

The candidate should definitely be aware they're flying an edge case under your nose.

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Using company equipment to drive to a job interview is likely out of policy.

Yeah, way out of policy...

Manager: Look, that's the third time this month I've seen you leave the company van parked in front of Starving Slammers.  Do it again and I'll have no choice but to write you up.

Tech: Sorry about that, what a cluster****, but I should be all set now.

Manager: Glad we put that to rest; and speaking of rest, turns out you were right, next Monday you do accrue 2 weeks vacation.

Tech: ...plus my 9.5 personal and 3.25 sick days with 5 days per diem/mileage reimbursement, and the bag of gel-filled beanies from Home Depot should give me just enough to... do you have a calculator?

Manager:  Not so fast Einstein, I wasn't born yesterday.  You got a receipt for those beanies?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 17, 2017

Depends on the competitor. 

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hire him, but make sure his new van has GPS tracking...

(1)
(1)
(1)
(9)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Apr 18, 2017

There are flags all over this for me personally.  First, if he does it to his current employer then most likely it will happen to you after you hire him.  Secondly, he should be upfront about his inability to meet during work hours and request other options such as over the phone/facetime/skype during his meal/break time.  That in itself would validate his ability to think outside the box and show his integrity at the same time.  Third, the fact that he is wasting employer time and fuel tells me he (or her) does not value his employer's assets. 

I am sure that if his resume attracted you to his skills, then it must worth working out a meeting time with him for the interview.  Overall, his presentation is severely lacking to a potential employer, I can only imagine what he does when no one is looking.  Having said that, I would question him right off the bat about why he showed up in the manner that he did.  At least to hear his side of the story but his actions speak louder then his words already.  I'd pass on him.

(6)
Campbell Chang
Apr 18, 2017

There's a whole range of circumstances that could lead to this.

Is the vehicle assigned to him and can he take it home?  I wouldn't know any of this prior to the interview.

Were it me, I'd park the vehicle down the road a little bit.

(2)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 18, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would have called him out on it.

His current employer may be slow, he may have asked for the time off, hell his employer may know he went for the interview. I would not assume anything.

I had a guy show up in shorts and flip flops.....

JM
James McAward
Apr 18, 2017

Significant red flag.  I typically hire the most qualified candidate who scares me the least and this would scare me a lot.  

The equivalent would be walking into the job interview wearing a competitor's golf shirt:  either he/she did this on purpose for some strategic reason obvious only to them, or they're a dolt.  Long experience has taught me that someone who is a dolt in one way will eventually prove that they are a dolt in many other ways.    

Campbell Chang has it right:  if driving Brand X's vehicle is simply unavoidable, make an effort to not rub my nose in it.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Apr 18, 2017

We're after hours interviews available?

Was it around lunch time or after work?

Would you rather employ someone who doesn't  have a job?

Look at his work vehicle, see how organised he/she is/isn't.

So many unanswered questions why crucify them before knowing the answers.

At least they are trying to advance themselves. Isn't that the type of person you want. Or is you re company a step down therefore not a person you'd want.

Was no other parking available?

Again so many unanswered questions. Give them break. 

Remember they are interviewing you too.....

(8)
(2)
Michael Budalich
Apr 18, 2017
Genetec

Agree. Also, what if his last job was half a mile from the site of the interview? Is the guy supposed to go 20 miles back to HQ get his car and drive 20 miles back? I think a lot of people are making big assumptions on this post. Make your judgments when the guy is in front of you answering tough interview questions. Not based on what vehicle the candidate shows up in. (unless its an IROC Z then you can pass judgment). lol

(7)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Apr 18, 2017

I'm a little more simplistic in this.  If we are employed and wish to look for other opportunities we do so during week days.   Now should he/she have come in their own personal vehicle instead of the company van, hell yes. 

Brian Karas
Apr 18, 2017
IPVM

What if the company allows some amount of personal use of vehicles?

TB
Tim Ballman
Apr 18, 2017

Honestly, if they are that bad of a candidate it will show in the interview. To make any other judgement without the interview would be like judging the book based off the cover, and I've read some really incredible books with horrible covers!

(3)
Sean Nelson
Apr 18, 2017
Nelly's Security

I would be ok with it as long as the guy was on lunch and he asked me if it was ok that he comes to the interview in such manner. If he is on paid time, he gone.

(4)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If he is on paid time, he gone.

You mean hire him, then fire him, or just call his boss?

(1)
Ethan Ace
Apr 19, 2017

For me, I wouldn't simply automatically reject someone who did this. But it would definitely be questioned and noted as a flag. I think in general it just isn't a classy move. I don't think it's particularly respectful to your current employer, and makes me doubt the candidate would be respectful to me. I know some companies allow personal use, and sure maybe home is farther than the interview site, but that doesn't make it a great thing to do, regardless.

I also think there's a wise way to do it and a thoughtless way to do it. I saw one candidate park way out of sight an be almost apologetic about it. I've seen another park a big full size van with another company's name on it right in front of their interviewer's office. And one parked it literally outside the window of the room where they were being interviewed, so that their interviewers were looking at it for the hour he was there. I can tell you which of those three got hired and which didn't.

(3)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

On the other hand, a guy who doesn't have a problem showing up in your competitor's vehicle may not have a problem showing up with your competitor's customer list either ;)

(1)
(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Forgive me if this was already mentioned -- I didn't see it in the thread.....

Are you open to evening and/or weekend interviews? If not, then I wouldn't disqualify the candidate.

Of course, as Ethan mentions, there's a considerate way to do it and inconsiderate way to do it.

U
Undisclosed #8
Apr 19, 2017

More red flags than a May Day parade. Just remember, if he'll cheat with you, he'll cheat on you. 

Hire the tech if you're short, but keep an eye on him and don't get too attached. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 19, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Maybe he wants to be 'caught' looking for another job.

Or so scientists say...

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Apr 19, 2017

I have personally been put in this position as the potential hire... If you are scheduling interviews with a candidate during regular working hours from a competitor, you should expect this behavior.  I personally requested that we meet on a Saturday in an attempt to curb this exact predicament.  If you are not open to meet outside of business hours this is often a necessity. 

(1)
(4)
Armando Perez
Apr 20, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Lots of exclusions here.

It is definitely alarming, but there is more to consider.

Did you give the tech an opportunity to interview outside of business hours? Did you push him to come in for an interview as soon as possible?

Was it around his lunch time?

Is it a marked vehicle or plain white van? (you may be assuming)

Does he bring it up?

Is the competitor treating him poorly and he feels justified? (this one is both a positive AND a negative.)

All that said, it is defintiely something to watch. I had one guy do it, but it was a white van, during his lunch break, and I had pushed him to come in sooner when he originally asked for a Saturday interview. In this case, he did that to meet my needs. Is it right? probably not, and I wouldnt want it done to me. The mileage and fuel on that van has a real cost to the company. That said, its one of the reasons why we have GPS on our vehicles and we check those GPS tags with job service order locations.

U
Undisclosed #10
Apr 24, 2017

Anyone with half (quarter?) a brain would not show up for an interview during business hours in their work vehicle.  Dumbass.  Instant DQ.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #11
Apr 24, 2017

In my part of the US traffic is really bad. Most employees are custodians of vehicles that they take home. If a potential employee were to exchange vehicles to attend an interview it could be a 3-4 hour round trip from leaving work to home to interview ,assuming they left work at 3:30pm. I think people just need to think about who they're interviewing, what time of day your expecting interviews, what part of the country your in can make a difference as well. Some project managers i have known over the years have let guys interview for jobs during working hours when large projects are closing out and they wont be able to keep them on. There are A lot of circumstances that would create the situations described in the OP. Some are ok and some are not. If your an interviewer and not asking the "why's" of the described scenario (s) then your not doing a good job. I would give the person being interviewed the opportunity to disclose it first before i questioned him/her on it. 

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #12
Apr 24, 2017

Wouldn't be a disqualification for me, but I would bring it up.  More than that, though, I'd think that the details surrounding the interview are relevant here.  Is the company recruiting the tech?  Or is the tech trying to make a move on his/her own?

If the company is recruiting the tech, I think they made an error on their side by not offering to do the interview off site, or at least checking first.  If the tech is seeking to make a change, I'd say this would be a bit more of a suspect decision on his/her own end.

All that said, good techs are getting hard to find, so it ultimately comes down to how good the candidate is and how bad the company needs them.

U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

While he's in the interview, have your guys throw on one of your company's vinyl wraps on his vehicle.

Then see how he reacts under pressure...

(3)
Brian Karas
Apr 24, 2017
IPVM

For some tips on that: Pimp My Integrator Truck

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #13
Apr 26, 2017

I remember several years ago an interview with the CEO of UPS talking about jobs and applicants.  He said many sent their resume by FedEx.  None were hired.

(1)
(1)
UI
Apr 26, 2017

Not a very good CEO. The better thing would be to find out why they were using FedEx. Yet again too much "book judging".

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The better thing would be to find out why they were using FedEx.

'Because they worked at FedEx' was my assumption, since they are a competitor and it mirrors the van analogy.

UI
Apr 26, 2017

Yes  but like the original poster there are too many unanswered questions to prejudge the "book by its cover".

UE
Undisclosed End User #13
Apr 26, 2017

I really don't remember the detail about the interview.  I just remember thinking how stupid you must be to use a competitors service to mail your resume.  It doesn't matter how bad you think UPS might be, you must suck up to the job you want.  

If I was at UPS and had 1000 resumes to go through, the 100 in FedEx envelopes would go a the trash.  If a person can't do something as simple as use your product, why would I think they would be over achievers working for me.

I know this thread has gotten off topic.  I agree with many post here.  There might be legitimate reasons for driving the company van to the interview.  I would do a follow up and get some answers.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 26, 2017

I don't think it's off topic at all.

Sending your resume to UPS in a FedEx envelope is either arrogant or thoughtless. I don't want either. It's that simple.

Driving the van to the interview isn't quite the same as the UPS/FedEx thing, but it's not totally different either.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #14
Apr 26, 2017

When I have a stack of books (resumes) on my desk, I am going to be more discriminating about the covers because I only have so much time in my day to do deep dive investigation trying to find brownie points.

When I need someone and resumes are sparse, I will take more time to look under the covers.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Apr 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I remember several years ago an interview with the CEO of UPS talking about jobs and applicants. He said many sent their resume by FedEx. 

Maybe this was a pre-meditated test the CEO had instructed the HR mailroom employees to flag, since in a Fortune 50 company you would expect the envelope would be long gone before someone who had any hiring authority would see its contents.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions