Subscriber Discussion

Would Hikvision Going Into Retail Hurt Its Security Channel Business?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Apr 29, 2015

Hikvision has obviously done well in it's years long effort to build a brand in the security channel. If they were to sell DVR or NVR kits at retail (DIY style), would that slow down their fast growth in the security channel? The kits at retail today are typically not "security channel" brands: Q-See, Swann, Lorex, Zmodo, Defender, etc etc.

[UPDATE: Hikvision has gone into retail, see Hikvision launches Ezviz direct sales.]

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 29, 2015

Q-See, Swann, Lorex, Zmodo, Defender

Who do you think builds those cameras? Dahua and Hikvision, for the most part.

(2)
UD
Apr 29, 2015

So are you saying that most end user organizations already know that Hik and Dalhua are available at retail, through other companies products?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 29, 2015
IPVM

Most probably do not.

That said, the premium for direct branded Dahua and Hikvision products are generally not that much over the OEMs so it is not as if they are going to save a ton buying from Q-See, etc.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Apr 30, 2015

No, I'm saying Hikvision won't care if you choose them or you choose Lorex, they get paid either way. And most lower level integrators won't care, they just want to buy the most reliable stuff with the best margins. And most higher level integrators won't care, they aren't using either Lorex or Hikvision.

UD
Apr 29, 2015

I wasn't thinking about security channel customers going and buying Hik kits through retail. I am wondering what the IPVM community, knowing what they do of the security channel, thinks of Hikvision moving into retail - relative to the move damaging the 'loyalty' (preference?) Hik has built in the security channel.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 29, 2015
IPVM

Good question. Overall, I think most integrators are pragmatists, so whether Hikvision sells the same cameras to Costco through an OEM or Avigilon has questionable marketing / ethical practices, if the products are good and the prices are attractive, that will be the primary driver for most integrators.

(3)
John Bazyk
Apr 30, 2015
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

It could potentially help our situation. Say they only sell value series cameras through retail and keep value plus and smart for authorized installers. This could help promote the hikvision brand among end-users. Right now, very few people actually know who they are.

I am not married to this idea, just a thought.
Sean Nelson
Apr 30, 2015
Nelly's Security

Im surprised they dont. If they hired an American to "Americanize" their GUI's, softwares, and manuals a little more, and take out some of the fluff out of their GUI's and software and make them alot simpler, I imagine they could kill it. Basically think Dropcam but a much bigger and more robust selection.

Its only a matter of time.....

(2)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Im surprised they dont. If they hired an American to "Americanize" their GUI's, softwares, and manuals a little more, and take out some of the fluff out of their GUI's and software and make them alot simpler, I imagine they could kill it. Basically think Dropcam but a much bigger and more robust selection.

Its only a matter of time..... - Sean Nostradamus

+3

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 04, 2016

It sounds a lot like EZ-VIZ

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, it does. But this Hik-vision came to him back in April, before 3 enterprising maidens set foot on our shores.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions