Subscriber Discussion

Would You Take A Job At Genetec?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Oct 05, 2016

Would you work at Genetec? What's your opinion of Genetec as an employer?

[Poll added by IPVM]

(1)
Ethan Ace
Oct 05, 2016

Good question! I added a poll in your original post and edited the topic to match the others. For reference, readers should see:

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes.

Considered opinion is that they might never sell to Hik.

Would Avigilon refuse?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 05, 2016

I'm not so certain. I think if enough overvaluation was in play anyone would sell. At this point Avigilon is probably more likely and is probably a better strategic choice.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 05, 2016

No, I know a few people who have been through there and been treated very poorly

(3)
(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #10
Oct 10, 2016

No, I know a few people who have been through there and been treated very poorly

Can you name some of these people?

I've been with Genetec 9 years and know most everyone who's worked in the US field over that period

We have had very little turnover in the field during my tenure and I'm still in contact with a few. None of them would say they've were ever treated poorly. To the contrary, the ones I speak with look back fondly at their days here.

You sound more like a rival manufacturer trying to get in a cheap shot.

(2)
(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 05, 2016

No, unless I had no involvement with the local sales rep for my region.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #11
Oct 10, 2016

If I may ask, are you a current Genetec integrator, or simply have a conflict with Genetec's current RSM for your region?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Oct 07, 2016

Obviously the answer to the question depends on a bunch of things like what the job would be etc. but I suppose the purpose of the question is regarding the quality of the company/where they are headed and if I took a job how long would it last etc.

With that/these assumptions, the answer is Yes.

They are far more forward thinking from my perspective than the others and they are fully invested in software as a service (SAS)/cloud and I believe at some point in the distant future will sell to Microsoft. At that juncture and leading up to that point, systems integrator will be a thing of the past and Genetec will have a direct model, they'll need someone with my experience, hah!

Genetec are you hiring?

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Oct 07, 2016

My perspective is as a technical end user in a restricted facility.

We procure our licensing through Genetec integrators, and maintain the system with in-house staff.

Our interaction from Genetec has been outstanding, especially from the current RSM and technical support.

With that in mind, it appears it would be a good place to work.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Oct 07, 2016

Interesting. You actually see your RSM... even after the sale or SMA is up for renewal???

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Oct 07, 2016

Yes, he is the best ever. And we keep our SMA current.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #6
Oct 07, 2016

And I should mention, he doesn't care that ours is not a huge system.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #11
Oct 10, 2016

Undisclosed #6, would you mind indicating which region you're in? I work for Genetec, and this kind of feedback is always great to know! I'm glad our staff is providing you with what you feel is outstanding support and service.

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #8
Oct 07, 2016

Yes. They seem to be pretty fast in responding to new software requests/small tweaks.

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #9
Oct 10, 2016

I responded with 'maybe' because my first inclination had cautions behind it.

One, there is an air of arrogance surrounding them. This can be a beneficial thing if harnessed and controlled, but this business (right now) is about relationships and there is no place for that in relationships.

Two, they are a clearly a technology company. And while that's not a bad thing in and of itself, the danger comes when the customer is placed in second place behind technology. There's already a sense of it in that there are solutions being developed for the sake of the solution and not for the market. It's a delicate balance to attempt to be "Jobs", but when your perspective is on the technology and not the user, the greatest widget in the world won't sell.

Three, employees are third. And when that happens, employees aren't valued and customers pay for it (and thus stakeholders).

I can't say I wouldn't work for them, but it would be a difficult decision knowing into what I would be walking.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 10, 2016
IPVM

the danger comes when the customer is placed in second place behind technology. There's already a sense of it in that there are solutions being developed for the sake of the solution and not for the market.

My perception of this is that Genetec tends to develop solutions for their mega-sized customers. To that end, they are 'not for the market' in general because most normal sized customers do not have 'mega' needs. And, I agree, that this will not let Genetec compete with Hikvision et al. at the low to middle of the market. On the other hand, it increases their competitiveness for the handful of biggest accounts with the most willingness to pay. Agree / disagree?

(2)
UM
Oct 10, 2016

I would agree John. But it substantiates that they are profit driven and will simply follow the money. It's less strategy, less vision, etc. and more tactical. Clearly they are succeeding at that approach, but then again there are those knocking at their door now due to the holes left.

(1)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 10, 2016
IPVM

Clearly they are succeeding at that approach, but then again there are those knocking at their door now due to the holes left.

What holes specifically?

But it substantiates that they are profit driven and will simply follow the money. It's less strategy, less vision, etc. and more tactical.

Less strategy and vision than what? All the companies dropping their prices and competing on who can do the largest across the board price cut?

While I totally agree that 98% of the features Genetec develops are not applicable to the mass market, it is clearly a strategy to dominate the high end. I think it is a good one because it is much more impervious to low-end disruption than what the 4 - 16 channel recorder space is suffering from, yes/no?

(2)
UM
Oct 10, 2016

While I totally agree that 98% of the features Genetec develops are not applicable to the mass market, it is clearly a strategy to dominate the high end. I think it is a good one because it is much more impervious to low-end disruption than what the 4 - 16 channel recorder space is suffering from, yes/no?

You are very close with this observation John. In my years here I've also thought certain features, products and integrations wouldn't be applicable to the mainstream market. In several cases I've been pleasantly wrong and found much wider need and acceptance than I anticipated

I will strongly agree that we will never build $600 16 ch HVRs to compete with Hik. We can't do that profitably (nor can any other Western Manufacturers) and it therefore becomes a market we can't be competitive in

UM
Oct 10, 2016

Three, employees are third. And when that happens, employees aren't valued and customers pay for it (and thus stakeholders).

I've worked for Genetec over 9 years and you are absolutely wrong in this statement. Genetec is one of the only companies I'm aware of that truly "walks the walk" when they say employees are our most valuable resource"

I can offer multiple examples I've seen over my tenure here

My assumption of you making this comment is you're either a rival manufacturer or simply are talking out your ass with no direct knowledge of our company

(1)
(2)
UM
Oct 10, 2016

Well first, appreciate the honorable discourse. It really takes the conversation further.

Clearly my touch points are different than yours and that's OK. I am actually glad to here this perspective as it's counter to others with which I have had the conversation.

Nevertheless, I do hope it's true and that I am completely wrong. It's very rare, though. So more power to them.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

sure they "walk the walk", but can they "talk the talk"?

(1)
(2)
UM
Oct 10, 2016

sure they "walk the walk", but can they "talk the talk"?

LOL - I like this question because I read someone else in this discussion accuse us of being "arrogant"

I find the exact opposite to be the case. The Owner and management teams are very humble and unassuming. We don't / won't run around screaming empty cliché

We believe actions speak louder than words

I really hope that didn't sound arrogant.... :)

UE
Undisclosed End User #12
Oct 10, 2016

Sure would. They have a young progressive culture and are responsive to end users requirements. I have been to their head office in Montreal and it is a class act, from employees to the executive.

Keeping platforms open and eliminating, as much as possible, proprietary hardware, makes them a company I am proud to do business with and would be happy to work for.

(3)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #13
Nov 03, 2016

I would. Too bad i don't speak French.

But I would work for anyone who has a Genetec system to keep up and running because their system is perfect for a geek like me.

Just hard enough to manage by a "standard" user but a wizard like me can make magic with it.

Unfortunately 90% of end users do not have enough staff for operating the system and they use only just as much capacity of the system as much as they use their brain's capacity, which is about 10%.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions