Subscriber Discussion

With This PTZ, Is The Focus Bad Because Of A Problem With The Camera Or A Limit?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 03, 2016

Is this something wrong with the camera or is this the limit of its focus.

I have a LTS PTZ212X20. On its farthest zoomed in, it cant focus on far objects. I'm just trying to figure out if it is something wrong with the camera, or that is a limit of the camera.

Thanks

JH
Justin Holbrook
Aug 04, 2016

What model camera is this?

Most PTZ have auto focus sensors that activate once zoomed in. So the produced picture should always be crisp and clear regardless whether totally zoomed in or out.

UI
Aug 04, 2016

ITs a LTS PTZ212X20. I tried to manually focus and it doesnt work either

JH
John Honovich
Aug 04, 2016
IPVM

My experience has been the opposite of Justin's. In particular, many PTZs have image quality problems when zoomed all the way out. I obviously don't know what is happening in this specific case but that type of image does not surprise me generally.

UI
Aug 04, 2016

When zoomed out is not a problem, the issues are when I am zoomed all the way in.

DW
David Westberry
Aug 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is autofocus on? If it is does it continually try to focus? I would try to turn off auto and try to manually focus it. Also a lot of PTZs will go to digital zoom once past the optical limit and might be what you are seeing, although the pic provided is not pixelated much.

UI
Aug 04, 2016

Supposedly it is still on optical zoom. I tried to adjust the focus manually and no luck either.

DW
David Westberry
Aug 04, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If you zoom out a click or two does it get better? I would be calling LTS and looking for an answer/replacement/RMA etc. I wouldn't consider that normal.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 05, 2016

From what I've seen when googling LTS it seems that it's a Hikvision OEM.

With the Hikvision PTZ cameras there is a setting in the following location that can help you.

Configuration> advanced configuration > image > focus settings > min focus distance. set this lower might help you with this.

Play around with this setting and let us know if it helped you.

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Aug 08, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

While I haven't seen this exact issue with a PTZ, it is common in manual varifocal cameras that we've installed. On occasion, we find that you cannot get proper focus at either of the extreme ends of the zoom spectrum. You have to pull in (or out) just a hair to get proper focus.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions