Wireless Power

Brian Rhodes
Jul 15, 2013
IPVMU Certified

The demonstration in the video below is interesting, if not pointless:

It depicts a quadrotor toy being 'wirelessly' powered via resonant energy transfer. The toy's range is only a few inches before flying out range of the field; not terribly useful at such low magnitudes. The idea of 'wireless electricity' is not without natural precedent - after all, at high voltages and amperages, it is called lightning. The current state of 'wireless power' is advanced by devices using less power/more efficiently than in the past, not increasing the supply side.

Surprisingly, this concept shows up in a number of 'security technologies', notably proximity cards but also Wireless Door Power transfers. Nikola Tesla fanbois rejoice!

It will be interesting to see which security technologies take a 'wireless power' development; we have door locks, cards, and card readers. Any guesses on what's next?

Brian Karas
Jul 16, 2013
Pelican Zero

I've usually recommended these to people whom the recommendation was appropriate for: wireless extension cord.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 16, 2013
IPVM

Bad Brian Karas - nice April Fools' Joke though!

Hal Bennick
Jul 18, 2013
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

JH
John Honovich
Aug 18, 2013
IPVM

There's a NYTimes article describing a startup that is doing wireless power. They have quite the range of big named backers:

"After the Founders Fund signed on, more than a half-dozen venture capitalists also kicked in to create $1.4 million in start-up financing — including Mark Cuban, the Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer, the Andreessen Horowitz firm and even Troy Carter, Lady Gaga’s manager."

There's also a detailed description of a tech demo the company did and some useful critical comments on Hacker News.

I am not saying I believe, but I am saying there's enough for an IFSECGlobal article!

Brian Rhodes
Aug 18, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I wager the transfer efficiency of that system is single digits, ie: It runs for hours to get a minuscule charge.

Or, if you prefer: For every $10 in electricity you expend, you get a few pennies to transfer.

Brian Karas
Aug 19, 2013
Pelican Zero

Every review and analysis I've seen of that "wireless power" adapter tells me it's about as realistic and useful as the one I posted earlier in this thread.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 11, 2013
IPVM

More wireless power!

Cota / Ossia is a finalist at TechCrunch Disrupt (which means it will definitely fail :)

They are claiming 1 watt of power wirelessly across 30 feet.

Here's their demo video:

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions