Subscriber Discussion

Wireless CCTV In A Hostile Environment

CJ
Col Jones
Feb 18, 2013

Our major client operates a large coal fired Power Station. The client has asked us to install a number of CCTV cameras, to enable them to remotely monitor the operation of some critical valves during testing. The challenge is to find a suitable camera. The valves in question would be approx 1-2 metres from the nearest mounting point for a camera, and would require the camera to cover a 2 dimensional area of approx 600mm x 600mm. The valves are part of the superstructure surrounding the main power generating Turbines, so I would assume the emi/emr would be off the charts. The ambient temperature would be in excess off 50C. I'm praying that a suitable wireless camera exists because getting cable to a couple of the locations would be extremely problematic.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

col

SP
Sean Patton
Feb 18, 2013

Col, A few things to consider, beyond EMI/EMR are:

1) You still need to get power to a wireless CCTV camera, so unless you have an AC circuit you can actually tap into, it might just be easier to run Cat6 with a PoE extender, or Ethernet-over-Coax than wireless

2) Along with EMI/EMR youre going to have a ton of vibration from those turbines, so youre going to need a camera that can long term survive those vibrations, and have shutter/sensor adjustment to counteract those vibrations. I would suggest looking at a hardend camera solution specifically for power plant environments. This product would be a good place to start looking.

3) If you go the wireless route, you are going to want to look at a dedicated wireless product (Fluidmesh, Firetide, Ubiquiti, etc) that has stronger output (up to 400mw max) and higher gain antenna, vs. any cameras that come with a built-in radio/antenna.

CJ
Col Jones
Feb 19, 2013

>Sean, the hyperlink in your message took me to the Rolls Royce website, but not to any particular product. Was it intended to link to a particular item on the RR Site?

Rv
Rogier van der Heide
Feb 18, 2013

Col, A few tips from me as well.

When you're placing cameras in industrial enviorements there are quite a few things to keep in mind.
- Look around to see if they will be lifting or moving engines or other parts occassionally. This is handy to know so your camera doesn't gets squashed every now and then.
- If it's a real rough area be sure to have sturdy housings. Sean named one, I can also recommend Videotec.
- Try to avoid vibrating parts as much as you can. You could consider using rubbers, but these can occasionally increase the vibrations, rather then reducing them.
- EMI/EMR, expect it. Make sure you have decent cabling

Also, when working with stronger attennas, make sure there aren't any systems around who use WIFI that will interfere. We occasionally have our scanner system being shut down cause a boat lies in our harbour with a camera up front. And, some countries have laws in how much watt you may use for your wifi. Here in Holland it can't be more then 100mW.

SP
Sean Patton
Feb 18, 2013

Rogier, Great last point; 400mW is the max is the US (I originally had typo'd 400ma...), most radios I have dealt with will auto adjust max power output once you set up the country code in the radio, but it is something definitely to keep in mind.

SP
Sean Patton
Feb 19, 2013

Col,

If you go to that link, there is a link for Remote Monitoring Cameras and accessories. They have a range of products, I would probably just contact them. I know they have a ton of their products in the nuclear plants around NY (and the world), which isnt the same environment you are looking at, but it would have some of the same challenges.

CJ
Col Jones
Feb 19, 2013

Thanks Sean. I'll give RR a call.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions