Subscriber Discussion

Wireless Camera Solution For / Through Bank Vault Doors?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 31, 2017

A bank customer asked wants a proposal for a wireless camera to be installed in their vaults. This bank is currently standardized with Verint Edge 2000/3000 hybrids.

Does anyone know of such a solution, especially since it would be expected to provide video in the event the vault door is closed. 

JH
John Honovich
Jan 31, 2017
IPVM

#1, one key question is how much attenuation the vault doors will add. It's almost certainly going to be quite high. For example, here is a table of attenuation properties of different materials:

To that end, I would think wireless IP cameras (meaning IP cameras with built-in wireless) are out of the question since their output power / antenna gain tends to be quite weak.

A dedicated PTP link connected to a wired IP camera would do better. I don't know if that would be good enough though.

Hopefully other members can provide more detailed advice.

(2)
(2)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Jan 31, 2017

Maybe PowerLine ethernet.  I assume power in the vault.

(1)
John Bazyk
Jan 31, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Getting wireless outside of a vault is not easy. When we do it, we put the wireless transmitter outside of the vault and run a cable through the provided conduit inside the vault. Most vaults are heavily reenfoced with steel and concrete making it very difficult to get a reliable signal out. 

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Jan 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

If you are running stuff through a conduit from outside the vault to inside the vault why use wireless at all?

(1)
John Bazyk
Jan 31, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

The conduit usually just goes through the wall of the vault. If we can hardwire all the way from the vault to the security room then that's what we do. If it's a nice building and the only way to get from point A to point B is wire mold on the walls or ceiling, we would prefer to go wireless, it's more cost effective and very reliable if done right. If we're doing wireless for a vault it's for panic buttons, PIR's and other intrusion detectors. Very rarely would we use it for video unless there was no other way. That being said, the number of wireless devices (including cameras) we have used in the last few years continues to increase so finding better ways to install wireless is a big part of what we try and work on. 

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Jan 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Got it, thanks for the reply John!  When I read your previous I was thinking "Hmmm if they are pushing wire into the vault anyway......???"  but that makes sense if you can't go direct or into a switch.

JE
Jim Elder
Jan 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Vaults usually come with wire access points; but it is usually not just your average sleeve.You could also go with twisted cable rated at 600 or fiber run in the same conduit as the lighting inside the vault. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 31, 2017

I had a subcontractor drill through the vault roof... it took him 3 hours and about 4 hammer drill bits... said he would never do it again. just pound your way through it, it will go eventually. Run wire mold on the inside of the vault. 

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 31, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

That sounds like an awful idea, drilling through the vault??? I think that would be frowned upon...

Thanks a lot Bin Laden!

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Feb 01, 2017

This could compromise the integrity of the vault or violate certification of said vault. If you must drill the vault consult with the manufacturer.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions