Subscriber Discussion

Wireless Access Contact Closure Question

TM
Tom McVey
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

One of my colleagues has asked me a question and I would like to know how other people have solved this issue.  It seems to have quite a few solutions, I am trying to find the best options for the client.  

We are using a Farpoint WR44 reader that will be located on the building.  It is being tied into a Galaxy Access Control Panel.  The gate, which is about 80 feet away from the building has power but we cannot run wire to it from the access control panel.  We will be using the local power for the gate operator and whatever else we need. So the question is how do I send a contact closure from the panel to the gate controller wirelessly.  What is the best way?  We have done similar things with Perle IOLAN devices but that seems like overkill for this.

Thanks,

Tom

Ethan Ace
Feb 15, 2017

My favorite wireless contact closure transmitter/receiver is the Linear XR series. They were always rock solid and have huge range (though that's likely not an issue here, since we're only talking 80'). They're also more rugged than most and have changeable antennas.

That being said, they're about $180 per side online. Which may be overkill for this. But might not be, depending one what the building construction is. 

TM
Tom McVey
Feb 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just looked at these.  Definitely better than what I had so far.  Thanks for taking the time to respond.  

Thanks,

Tom

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Feb 16, 2017

As mentioned previously we've had the opportunity to work with Cypress Integration on a number of installations with good results.

Specific product you may wish to look at is Cypress's SUPREX Wireless Reader Extender.  Here's a link to it on their website: http://cypressintegration.com/spx-5631/.  It should easily bridge the 80-foot gap.

In practice the SUPREX unit would wire directly into the Wiegand interface Galaxy panel.  Then, the signal will travel wirelessly to a companion SUPREX unit wired directly into the gate controller.

Trust this is helpful.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions