Subscriber Discussion

"Wired Wireless" Intercom System

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 21, 2013

Yes I know... anyway here is the question posed to me.

The largest problem with the current wireless system is that the batteries just do not last, particularly during cold weather. He (referring to a committee member) suggested that it might be possible to install a "wired wireless" system, such that the device outside could be connected to a wireless transceiver mounted just inside the door. There is, in fact, AC power within just a few feet of the current box (and maybe 2-3 feet farther from your proposed ADA location) via the supply to one of our emergency exit lights (added after construction). If AC power could be drawn from that supply, we might be able to eliminate all the uncertainty and much of the effort involved in trying to fish wires from the door to the main office. Alternatively, one could probably fish a power cable from that tap directly to the outside device. Our property committee chairman seemed pretty sure that this would not be difficult.

Comments? Unforeseen objections or problems? Cost implications for equipment?

Does anyone know of any device like this?

Background: A local church is currently using a "wireless" intercom system. They say that the cold weather seriously effects the batteries and they have to keep instalilng new batteries. They have requested a quote on a wired system. The problem is, the way the church is built makes it more time intensive to get cabling from the transfomer to the office as well as the front door where the intercom will be located. Currently they have the wireless mounted on the glass. My suggestion was an audio intercom and included a video intercom to consider over the audio intercom. Mind you, I have offered the components at my costs so it's a really good deal.

Any ideas/suggestions/anything would be greatly appreciated.

The white thing on the glass is the current intercom.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 21, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Undisclosed:

If I understand the problem correctly, you're looking for a hardwired powered, but wireless communication intercom system?

How many remote call stations do you need? Is there only one 'main' answer station?

UI
Mar 21, 2013

Only one main and one remote. The remote will be in an office about 50 ft. away.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 21, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Do you know the current make/model of the existing intercom system?

UI
Mar 21, 2013

No but I will find out.

Brian Rhodes
Mar 21, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Their best solution may very well be to hardwire existing components in lieu of battery power. The difficulty and additional components required depend on the details of what is currently hanging. If you can find out, that will help.

Luis Carmona
Mar 21, 2013
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

From what I understand, the door intercom is wireless because running a wire is not practical. And it's battery powered, but doesn't really need to be because there's a power source nearby. And because it's "legacy" wire, a straightforward Ethernet solution is not viable.

We've never used them, but did test inhouse an audio to Ethernet encoder from Barix.com and it seemed to work as advertised. So maybe have the door intercom connected to an audio to Ethernet encoder that goes over an Ethernet transport to an Ethernet to audio decoder at the other end. The Ethernet transport could be maybe an 802.11 wireless bridge, or maybe an Ethernet over powerline adapter if the power lines are not disjoined.

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 22, 2013

If you can get hardwired power to the thing, that means you can get two wires to it (18/2, even 20/2), which means any sort of two-wire system like Aiphone, EntryVue, etc. should be workable. For that matter, if you can get station or bell wire to it, you should be able to get UTP to it; it's not THAT much bigger.

I would tend to suspect it's not that "running a wire is not practical", so much as it's, "the previous installer couldn't figure out how to get a wire there", or even just "the previous installer couldn't be bothered to get a wire to it".

Glancing at the photo, it looks like any number of door mullions that I've run maglock, electric strike, and alarm contact wiring through before. It's not generally difficult, it just requires a little extra care to keep everything looking nice.

UI
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I can get the wire to it... but it will be time consuming because of how the building is built. We also don't want exposed wire which is distracting so we provided the quote based on fishing the wire thru a series of nooks and cranny's. I think they want to "save money" on the labor part and are not understanding what is involved with fishing the wire through.

Thanks all to responding... I've already provided the quote for the parts at my costs, so I kind of feel like it's taking up too much of my time to worry about. Thanks again!

DH
Darrel Hauk
Mar 22, 2013

If you have 2 conductors at the door to the phone line, you can add a Channel Vision telephone entry product that works over the existing phone lines. Using the existing phones, you can answer the intercom and communicate, power to a strike and their relay will allow you to open the door from the phone too. model TE-110 kit.

UI
Mar 22, 2013

Oh wow! Thats pretty cool! I'm going to check that out. Thanks!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions