Subscriber Discussion

Will This Work? Why Haven't The Police Or DHS Gotten This To Work? Go...

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 24, 2017

Radio Physics Announces Partnership to Develop Stand-off Threat Detection Capabilities for Security Robots (Knightscope)

Radio Physics is pleased to announce that it is jointly developing stand-off threat detection capabilities for security robots in collaboration with Knightscope, Inc.

MiRTLE is currently available as a stand-off concealed threat detection system, the MiRTLE 30, deployed for detection of mass casualty threats such as suicide bomb vests and large assault weapons at distances out to 30 meters. The system is lightweight, portable, quick and easy to set up, and has low power requirements. The system can be deployed in a wide range of applications to protect people and critical infrastructure such as mass transit locations, groundside protection at airports and public buildings and large event facilities such as sports venues.

The integration of MiRTLE into the Knightscope security robots demonstrates the flexibility and scalability of the solution.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Sep 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I hope its water proof....

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Sep 25, 2017

Radio Physics uses "millimeter wave radio," which is normally used in stationary full body imaging weapon detectors. Even if this works onboard a Knightscope, why did they partner with Knightscope? I just can't take them serious as a company, yet.  

Possibly related... The US DoD (maybe it was DARPA) has invested in tech that uses invisible waves to heat-up people to the point of extreme discomfort (think crowd dispersion for riot control). A couple of years ago the developing contractor showed me the unit, the size of a utility trailer at the time. He told me they were working on calibrating it for detection of rifles and suicide bomber vests.

Good offensive and defensive tools eventually trickle down from military funding and use. Civilian police and security might embrace this if proven and cost lowers.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions