Will The Xiongmai / Dahua Botnet Army Take Down The Internet On US Election Day?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 25, 2016
IPVM

The US elections are in 2 weeks. Many are now raising concerns that the botnet army will be used to 'take down' the Internet on US election day. 

Given the charges of election / voter fraud already, a significantly sizable interruption could cause havoc. 

Any one with thoughts on this?

For the video surveillance industry, I think it would be a monumental black eye.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What is the threat?

that people won't be able to use Nav to get to the polling locations, thereby skewing the vote by income?

or checking voter registration lists will be impacted?

or just to make a show of how vulnerable the US is, even on its cherished freedom day?

Brian Karas
Oct 26, 2016
IPVM

I've heard this threat/theory going around also. I don't think they could "take down" the election, so much as cause disruption, and potentially foster the belief that the election is somehow being"rigged". In a sense it would be a vector to incite panic more than the affect the election directly.

(4)
Hal Bennick
Nov 02, 2016
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

I'm embroiled in a pitched internal debate: do I comment with my opinion, or just concentrate on getting my tinfoil hat finished?

Needs more antennae....

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions