Subscriber Discussion

Will The Microsoft Patrol Car Become A Reality?

Brian Karas
Mar 13, 2017
IPVM

Over the years I have seen Microsoft attempt to enter a number of industries, but the efforts rarely pan out. Will the Microsoft patrol car be a hit?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 13, 2017

I agree with your premise that Microsoft has entered many domains before and has had mediocre success rates...

However, this kind of thing seems to be right in their wheelhouse - since video is just data - and they are pretty good at managing data.

I'm more curious why Microsoft is branding this effort with their well-known name - rather than creating a division with a cool-sounding brand of it's own.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 13, 2017
IPVM

Before the Knightscope guys did Knightscope, they started a company to build police cars, Carbon Motors:

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 13, 2017

that is one bad ass ride, imo...

I guess they didn't get the $310M loan from the Dept of Energy?

And they moved operations from Connersville, IN to the silicon valley?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 14, 2017

More likely to crash on road

(3)
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 14, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

What OS do current LE onboard computers use now? What other services does Microsoft claim to be adding here? All of the video stuff would seem to be a VMS, right? Not likely their own. 

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 15, 2017

Getac F110 (Taiwan) with Win10 OS.
Keyboard look like the copycat with iKey SL-86-911.
Genetec AutoVu SharpX LPR, Axon Body 2 camera.
The drone is too weird and don't know what model is it.. (Who make the motors and propellers up side down?)
SuperDroid DEMO Prebuilt MLT-F Digital System.

As you said. Microsoft didn't own it all.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions