Subscriber Discussion

Will Consolidation Indirectly Lead To Better Open Protocols?

Luis Carmona
Feb 11, 2015
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

ONVIF has come a long way, but I still think nowhere near where it should be, much less the virtually non-existant cross platform communication protocols: between VMS and ACS, Alarm and ACS, etc. I know ONVIF revisions are supposed to address this, but I am still not hearing a lot about it in practice.

With big players building portfolios of end to end solutions, could this drive the smaller players, the so called "independant and agnostic" solutions ("we're a VMS company only and are camera agnostic") to spur better cross platform interoperability? Because how else will they compete when they have a competitor snake charming the customer with solutions that "meet their end to end goals and just work together"?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 11, 2015
IPVM

"Could this drive the smaller players, the so called "independent and agnostic" solutions ("we're a VMS company only and are camera agnostic") to spur better cross platform interoperability?"

No, I don't believe this will happen. It would be nice if it did!

Basically, I think they are too small and fractured to have the time, energy and power to do so. Smaller players in surveillance have never been able to drive standards.

If anything, I think this puts smaller independents on the defensive. A few years ago, there were many larger independents they could trust to partner / work with, this is now becoming harder and harder.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions