Subscriber Discussion

Why Would I Ever Pay Full Price For Napco Products?

Ari Erenthal
Feb 22, 2017

So I get an email yesterday (multiple emails, in fact), telling me that I can get 10% off Napco products at any authorized dealer if I spend $750 or more. Sale runs till the end of March. 

So I check my spam folder, and I notice Napco sends these emails (always with a different, seasonally-appropriate theme) at the end of every quarter.

So, my question is, why would I ever pay full price for Napco? If I'm a Napco shop with even a little bit of cash flow, why not wait for the quarterly sale to stock up? $750 is like 5 or 6 panels, or like 35 motion detectors. Sure, maybe I'll get a hot job in April that will wipe out my stock, but generally speaking an alarm company that isn't good at predicting their inventory needs won't last very long. 

If you use Napco, do you pay full price? 

U
Undisclosed #1
Feb 22, 2017

Great Question, your thinking like a smart business person. 

But hate to say it, most people dont think like you and are flying by the seat of their pants when it comes to ordering equipment for jobs. They cant or dont want to think that far ahead, even if it means being more profitable. We have ran sales like this before, where we encourage people to stock up while the price is low, almost noone ever bites on it.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 22, 2017
IPVM

are flying by the seat of their pants when it comes to ordering equipment for jobs. They cant or dont want to think that far ahead, even if it means being more profitable.

Who are these companies? How big / small / organized / unorganized are they?

CR
Chad Ray
Feb 22, 2017

It is ironic that you bring this up.  I did my first commercial fire alarm recently.  I ended up using Napco.  They provided amazing service!  Now I am on their mailing list and receive the same great offers!  My dilemma is that I use 2 GIG panels and Alarm.Com.  I am very comfortable with that set up and very satisfied with Alarm.Com.  2GIG has been sold at least twice now and their future seems iffy to me.  Napco is rock solid but does not use Alarm.Com.  They use iBridge.  I do not think iBridge is able to compete with Alarm.Com, presently.  Alarm.Com is so feature rich and has unbelievable tech support 9 to 9 EST plus Saturday till 7.  That has bailed me out several times!  

I know your article was not about most of what I commented on.  However, the way I see it is that Napco is offering these great deals for obvious reasons.  If iBridge could compete with Alarm.Com I would be using this great deal!  These are awesome and frustrating times in which we live!

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 22, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have never really noticed the discount ads, we sell NAPCO on one municipal contract exclusively be cause it integrates with CONTINENTAL well. I am a card carrying MA3000 tech from back in that day so I think my overall view may be slanted. Sold and installed 1000's of their panels I'm sure it is a rock solid product that always lasts and lasts. It is worth me paying full price, dont care as long as we are not giving our money to TYCO or HONEYWELL.

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Feb 22, 2017
IPVM

It is worth me paying full price,

So I guess you're turning down the Hikvision double dip dealer discounts? ;) Kudos!

(1)
(4)
CR
Chad Ray
Feb 22, 2017

Keep your hands on the plow, John!  

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

No John I would feel just horrible turning that down as I know the good folks at HIKVISION will be using a small percentage of my 'donation' to help fund many worthwhile charitable causes they help out every year here in the United States and abroad, but thank you for asking.

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Feb 22, 2017

I am a card carrying MA3000 tech from back in that day

I've installed and programmed probably hundreds of MA and GEM panels, nobody every gave me a card. 

In all seriousness, I got the email on my personal email address, my IPVM email address, and the throwaway email address I use to sign up for spammy sketchy websites and also LinkedIn. Either you never check your spam folder or somehow Napco can't find your email address. In any case, Napco's marketing needs a little work if a dedicated Napco shop isn't even aware of their regular campaign?

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I saw the card in some old stuff a few weeks back, it was exactly like a credit card, plastic the whole bit, I will look it up and send you a copy. Do you agree that the 300 is one rock solid platform that is always there? Once you fully grasp that system it is a nice panel.

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Feb 23, 2017

Yup, the MA was the panel I grew up on. 

U
Undisclosed #2
Feb 23, 2017

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Feb 23, 2017

I'll treasure it always. 

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 23, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Nice Badge making software I agree!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions