Why Not Say Something Interesting Or Useful In Company Happy Holiday Emails?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 21, 2015
IPVM

I've gotten ~20 something happy holiday emails from companies so far. It's seems almost all of them say nothing more than some variation of happy holidays or merry christmas.

Wouldn't it be more useful to say something interesting? For example, what you plan on doing next year or some sort of some bonus or gift or discount or something?

What would you recommend?

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 21, 2015
IPVMU Certified

For example, what you plan on doing next year...

Of course there's this clever double un-entendre video from Axis where the world shakes, causing a strong man to slip and fall down, which only seems to amuse his surefooted friend in red.

I totally missed the subliminal message til you suggested it.

Ari Erenthal
Dec 21, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Because writing is hard, and not everyone can do it well, that's why.

(9)
(1)
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Dec 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

john they figure you already know what they are doing next year, most likely before they do ;)

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 22, 2015

It's not just emails - it's the same kind of posts they all make on their Twitter feeds and Facebook pages as well.

As John points out, this is such a wasted marketing opportunity.

If you - as a company - know that every other company is going to do exactly the same thing, at almost exactly the same time (generally the week before the holidays), why would you not try something different to stand out?

That question is rhetorical because we already all know the answer: collectively, we see very little imagination in our industry. It's as if Physec Marketing (and PR) 101 starts out with Chapter One: It Is Safer To Be The Same.

Now, not all things that are different in marketing are better - as we saw here. But the dude was trying...

In John's example, it is so very easy.... it doesn't even have to be edgy. This is a holiday that is built around gift-giving.

I would build my campaign around something like:

Bold Header: "At _______, we are not going to wish you a Happy Holidays."

(grabs attention)

Sub Title: "Instead, we've decided to make your Holidays Happier!"

(reason to continue reading/listening)

Content: Insert limited time discount/incentive.

(pay off)

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 22, 2015

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The reason is simple.

They are trying to be your friend and make you think they are not just selling something.

Build goodwill, warm fuzzies...

Of course, we are way too jaded as a group for that effect to even register and so we long for something useful.

Whether that works or not on some people, I don't know but that is why they leave it without anything that could look self-serving.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 22, 2015

I've never seen an episode of Mad Men and I get why they send the holiday greetings... but this is not the point.

The sameness is the point.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The point of what?

Surely they could all send the same offers and teasers they all send the rest of the year and they would still all be the 'same', no?

The question is "Why not say something useful...", my answer is that they are doing it on purpose to build goodwill and not look like they are trying to take advantage of holiday season.

If you got a Christmas card from a friend that said only

Merry Christmas, from One Undisclosed Two another!

would you be wondering why I didn't try to sell you something?

on the other hand if you got

U2, I'm not going to wish you a Merry Christmas, instead I'm gonna sell you my car for $1000 less than my last offer.

you might not feel like I was truly your friend.

That's what they are trying to avoid...IMHO.

U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 22, 2015

"The point of what?"

the point of the OP and my long-winded post above.

Bad practice examples of my thesis not withstanding, offering a 'gift' - rather than the same platitudes that everyone else is offering - actually creates the warm and fuzzies you feel they are seeking.

I agree with you about why they send the holiday platitudes greetings. I am saying that they are (imo) ineffectual.

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 22, 2015

"I agree with you about why they send the holiday platitudes greetings. I am saying that they are (imo) ineffectual."

You probably right
and now I understand why IPVM
do not have posting/pix about "merry Christmas and happy new year"
to its own members

they are (imo) ineffectual.

Right ? :)

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

and now I understand why IPVM
do not have posting/pix about "merry Christmas and happy new year"
to its own members

You can get one, if you just ask.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 22, 2015

I guess history repeats .... :)

but a person does not change

sad

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Dec 22, 2015
Chesapeake & Midlantic

That's it!

I'm sick of the bickering. I'm putting an end to this. Here, then, is my message to you all:

Happy Hanukkah!

Something interesting: Instanbul, Turkey, lies in two continents. Most of it is in Asia but a small portion overlaps into Europe.

Something useful: if your bag gets lost while flying on most major airlines, go buy replacement clothes, shoes, sunglasses, etc and keep the receipts. You will get reimbursed by the airline. So long as the total is less than $500, most airline reps can approve it without having to go through corporate.

There, you happy? Now sit down and shut up. And a Happy New Year.

(2)
(5)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 22, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Something interesting: Instanbul, Turkey, lies in two continents. Most of it is in Asia but a small portion overlaps into Europe.

I never understood how a single land mass could be considered two continents to begin with. More progressive continents do not share a land mass, mainly to avoid snide remarks at parties.

This is the real reason for both the Panama and Suez Canals, ;)

AR
Alexander Ryltsov
Dec 27, 2015
They are not sharing land mass, at least if we talk about Turkey :) https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5032031,28.1560704,8z - there is Marmara (Marble) sea in-between. So, Ari's note is really useful :)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

They are not sharing land mass, at least if we talk about Turkey :)

Michigan might disagree. :)

JH
John Honovich
Dec 24, 2015
IPVM

Guess Arecont really does like me...

That's the 10th such email I got today. Only 1 or 2 actually said anything beyond the boilerplate of a greeting card.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

We value your relationships

Well that's honest! Not we value our relationship?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 24, 2015
IPVM

Freudian slip, I suppose but that's a good insight into Arecont's mentality.

Rob Hammond
Dec 29, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Ok, you want a memorable holiday message? Check this out Salter sings the holidays. Ok I am biased as this is what our company sent out this year.

What you have to understand about our company, before you click, is that in addition to low voltage technology design, our company primarily does acoustic design (mitigate noise). Everyone on the video is an employee and this was scripted and produced by staff here... staff that obviously have too much time on their hands!

(1)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 29, 2015
IPVM

Rob, that's clever and memorable, thanks for sharing!

Hal Bennick
Dec 31, 2015
Trafficware, a CUBIC Company

***Note to self - send XMas cards in August.***

How's that for new and different?

Happy New Year!

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 01, 2018
IPVMU Certified

A useful reminder from ONSSI regarding the recent cut-over from 2017. Please pass on ;)

JH
John Honovich
Dec 21, 2018
IPVM

I am bumping this for 2018.

On a positive note, does anyone have any examples of a happy holidays email that was useful or noteworthy?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 21, 2021
IPVM

Bumping for 2021 as I am starting to get these generic emails again.

It seems so self-evident that if a company is going to send a happy holidays email include some information about what the company did that year or is expecting to do, etc.

I give SIA credit as its email included a video recap:

It strikes me, at 15+ minutes, as a bit long but better long than nothing.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions