Why Is The Honeywell Guy Standing On A Box Of Cable?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 02, 2014
IPVM
Brian Rhodes
Oct 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I guess its showing that the cable box is not easily crushed.

Keep in mind, most cable boxes get tossed into the back of a van and get abused and kicked around on a jobsite until they are tattered. Normally the spool of wire gets tangled and messy pretty quick.

I think the point of this tweet is to show the box isn't crushed by a 200 pound weight. (That's 175 pounds for the dude + 25 pounds for the Doc Martens.)

(1)
(5)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 02, 2014
IPVM

They are selling the strength of the box?

The linked article is pitching tangle elimination.

(1)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

For the rest of the world: "It's a strong cardboard box."

For Honeywell: "REACT packaging is a weapon in the battle against tangled cable."

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 02, 2014

funny points for 25 pound Doc Martens

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 02, 2014
IPVM
GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 02, 2014
He didn't have a ladder and needed to glue up an alarm panel? Can we add this to the trunk slammer thread?
(3)
Brian Rhodes
Oct 02, 2014
IPVMU Certified

LOL

Revised copy: "REACT packaging is a paradigm shifting game changer for multi-purpose step stool/cable spool devices."

(3)
GW
George Whittaker
Oct 02, 2014

that picture looks more like a guy on break, sitting on two cable boxes, feet on a third. still kinda impressive.

here's how you can do the trick yourself:

http://www.honeywellcable.com/CatalogDocuments/REACT-How-to-Demo.pdf

(1)
Carl Lindgren
Oct 02, 2014

That's Andrew Jackson talking face to face with Greg Stowers (inside joke).

JH
John Honovich
Oct 02, 2014
IPVM

Honeywell claims this is the "first significant cable packaging innovation in over 40 years, and a huge improvement in the user experience."

Any thoughts?

Brian Rhodes
Oct 03, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I'm trying to think of what packaging innovation around 1975 was bigger?

Seriously. Why not just proclaim this 'the best cable box innovation EVER'.

(You shouldn't be so modest, Honeywell.)

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Oct 03, 2014
IPVMU Certified

the reps at windy city wire may take offense to that statement...

(1)
(1)
GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 03, 2014
As an old wire puller myself I can appreciate anything that makes it easier and when you are pulling 4 cables through the same hole or conduit you notice this stuff. With that said I think wire in a box might have been as big or bigger as I recall only rolls before that and as I recall they flattened pretty easily. Adding how much wire was left saved a few wasted pulls and that was cool too. If it really works as an OSHA step stool I will say that's certainly up there.
GW
George Whittaker
Oct 03, 2014

i missed the OSHA certification part. that must mean that the landmark case, OSHA vs Benjamin Moore, has finally been struck down as overbroad.

OSHA does not have specific standards that address five-gallon paint pails used as step stools... As a general practice, it would be improper to use a five-gallon paint pail as a step stool, and such use could constitute a serious safety hazard. Such use is not consistent with the manufacturer's intended use for that product. A ladder is a safer and more practical approach for this situation.

09/19/2000 - A five-gallon paint pail should not be used as a step stool. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 03, 2014
IPVM

George,

I think Greg is kidding about the Honeywell cable box being an OSHA approved step stool, right, Greg?

GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 03, 2014
I assumed that was stated. I'll work on my comedy act.
GW
George Whittaker
Oct 04, 2014

i'm pretty sure i was too

GC
Greg Cortina
Oct 04, 2014
I'm still going to polish the act. I thought George got it too!
JH
John Honovich
Oct 04, 2014
IPVM

lol, George, I was blown away that you found that actual case...

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Oct 07, 2014

The real marketing target is the installer who wants a box he can sit on because you don't have any chairs on an install and it's nice to sit down. Seriously. His boss however is not going to buy a strong box just so he can sit on it. If the manufacturer can claim some other benefits such as reduced cable tangles then it's a win-win. What do you think the installer is going to report back when asked if the new box reduces cable tangles? "Yep, works great. Get more."

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 09, 2014
the only innovation they have had in 40 years is probably this box since they have no real product innovation to speak of
SP
Sean Patton
Oct 09, 2014

Honestly I feel really weird supporting Honeywell for this... but I think this is actually a nice offering. Anyone who has ever run a service van, and dealt with a lot of cable, have all seen a Belkin box tattered by the slightest jostling like its a wet paper bag.

(1)
Gert Molkens
Oct 12, 2014
IPVMU Certified
Innovation? Data cables are being pulled out of this kind of box for years/decades now
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions