Why Don't Cameras Highlight Motion Detection?

Ethan Ace
May 10, 2016

Just came across this video, where the camera highlights motion in the scene in orange, making it very visible in the nighttime scene it's showing:

This is common in video analytics, with bounding boxes around detected objects being more or less standard, but I've almost never seen it for simple VMD (I believe Samsung has an option for it). It seems like highlighting motion would make things more usable for operators, drawing their attention more easily, and would assist in troubleshooting if you have a lot of nuisance motion.

That being said, highlighting objects in orange seems it would obscure their actual color and potentially some details. If that's the only stream being recorded, it could reduce its usability forensically.

What are your thoughts? Have you seen any other cameras which highlight motion?

MM
Michael Miller
May 10, 2016

Avigilon's ACC software can do this for pixel based motion detection. I find this to be very useful for tweaking motion detection when you have false motion events. Turn it on and you see everything on the screen that trips the motion alarms.

To access it click on the cog (top right of the client software) > display > check (motion activity)

(1)
JH
John Honovich
May 10, 2016
IPVM

Interesting, I think it would be valuable as a user controllable overlay, i.e. some users some times would find it helpful, and could turn it on, disabling it as preferred.

The practical problem may be this is hard to do with open systems, as even getting motion events still is not simple for ONVIF. But I could see it as a good differentiator for an end to end system.

U
Undisclosed #1
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

That being said, highlighting objects in orange seems it would obscure their actual color and potentially some details. If that's the only stream being recorded, it could reduce its usability forensically.

Do you think the orange is being "burned" into the stream?

Brian Karas
May 10, 2016
IPVM

I think another reason you don't see this a lot is because motion detection in general isn't very smart and you'd likely end up seeing many "random" highlights in the scene.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions