Subscriber Discussion

Why Can You Tuck The Tail On Some Cameras And Not Others?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have a number of Dahua cameras which I can (just barely) fit the short tail into the housing and come out thru the cut.  I also have a Axis m3005 which has a tail that has no chance of fitting, as it is several feet long.  

I really don't want another box, so I am just going to cut the tail and re-terminate it short. 

Two questions,

1. do most people do this?
  2. do most tails usually tuck?
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 02, 2017

You may want to investigate The Axis recommended backboxes rather than just surface mounting.  This has long been an issue with the M series Axis cameras.  Reterminating can cause them to point to that as a root cause during support requests.  It must happen frequently as it is usually top in the list of questions.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thanks.  They act like its ok:

Brian Rhodes
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I suspect that long tails are a product of common bid spec requirements done by industrial electricians and for some A&E preferences in the North American market.

I'm also going to suggest the shorter tails/no tails are from brands either not heavily involved in those markets or are comparatively 'new' to bidded business in those areas.

Industrial electricians and mechanical A&E folks love long service tails. They typically use backboxes anyway, so it really is more or less moot with that crowd.

JH
John Honovich
Jan 02, 2017
IPVM

With regards to the M3005, Axis changed this in its new M304x series. From out M3045 test report:

The cable whip found in the M3004/3005 has been replaced with an Ethernet jack. Our surveys found a 3 to 1 preference for no whips.

We look at these and other physical features of the new M30 vs. old in this video:

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Our surveys found a 3 to 1 preference for no whips.

With one preferring neither.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 02, 2017

If there is one thing my techs complain about more than anything is the inconsistency of tails/whips/donkeyd!*#s on cameras. Female RJ45 is HIGHLY preferred. 

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I like a removable, short whip. The internal connection should simply be a standard RJ45 jack. The factory whip can still include I/O, audio, power, etc connectors, but also allow me to remove the bulky whip if needed. That way, if I don't have room for, or need the additional connections, then I can either direct terminate or make my own simpler whip with some cable. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions