Subscriber Discussion

Why Can't I Ever Upsell My Customers?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 29, 2017

Hey guys I've been working as a salesperson for a local integrator in the Northeast. I have been at it for about a year now, and am commision based. We deal mostly with commercial commercial customers. I get warm leads and I do site visits with a demo kit. I am closing a decent amount of customers, more all the time, and am even starting to get repeat business and customer referrals, so my boss is happy. 

Okay but my probelm is I am not getting enough upsells and add-ons. I am opening properly, I am building rapport with my customers, I'm closing, but I just can't get anybody to sign on for things like extra monitors, lock boxes or locking racks, upgraded storage, or especially service contracts! People want what they want and that's it. Everybody is so super price sensitive, too, they just want what they want. I have a list of upgrades and add ons and I run through every one, but nobody bites. Sometimes they won't even let me finish the list! I just don't understand it. 

Anybody have any ideas for me, because I am just out of ideas at this point. Thanks. 

(1)
(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Mar 29, 2017
Independent

First tip, forget the list. Listen to the customer, find their primary concerns and lead them to the accessory/solution from there. Everyone wants VALUE and you need to find what provides it for them. By using the list you're working on a script and you've automatically turned the customer off.

Get customer-centric and stress the best options that make their install professional and durable.

To reinforce, ditch the list, focus on the overall quality of the install. Present the list only as a checklist of things not to forget, except monitors and storage, do that part during the initial walkthrough as part of placement of viewing areas and initial needs. Actually, I think a large part of it is that you're putting all of this at the end of the discussion rather than during the walkthrough.

Heck, even the lockbox can be made as part of the initial recorder placement specification.

(8)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 29, 2017

Thanks, Robert.

You're saying that I should offer the upsell one thing at a time, and bring them up during the initial walkthrough? That might work.  

How do I "get customer-centric and stress the best options that make their install professional and durable"? Like, can you give me an example? Right now I'm just bringing up optionals and asking them if they want them or not. I also make sure to tell them how cheap the upgrade is. 

RS
Robert Shih
Mar 29, 2017
Independent

Instead of saying "how about a lockbox for X?" say "A lockbox might keep your footage safe if we put it over here and it's not an expensive upgrade, only X." Keep it conversational.

Mind you, I can't say the results are guaranteed, but your point is to make them open minded about the idea. Explain the value and don't just make an offer for the item outright.

(5)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Mar 31, 2017

Another useful trick I have heard in the past for selling extra storage space is to simply state the current record time vs what it could be with X amount of additional hard drive space. (Side Note: Be organic while explaining this)

Sean Nelson
Mar 29, 2017
Nelly's Security

Do you guys sell home automation products? If you are selling video or alarm, home automation is a great upsell product because its "fun". You could also get with your boss and see what he thinks about allowing demo equipment to be left in customers house for a month to see how they like it, if not, you take it out, if they do, then bam you just sold them. Chances are, they wont be able to live without it.

Also, service add ons such as iview now and the like, again, let them live with it for a month for free, call em back in a month to see if they want to buy it or not. Chances are, they will be so used to using it, they wont have a choice but to buy it.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 29, 2017

My boss doesn't really do automation but I talked to him last week because a customer mentioned it. What products do you recommend? We're actually thinking of getting a smart lock or something. 

Serivce addons seem like a really great idea. Do you have a preference or recommendation? Or is it going to be dependent on what automation stuff we offer?

Sean Nelson
Mar 30, 2017
Nelly's Security

Do you guys sell alarm at all? If so, most alarm devices have home automation features on it.

Josh Hendricks
Mar 29, 2017
Milestone Systems

A year is not a very long time, and if you are new to the industry then it is going to take some time to build up your knowledge, confidence and instincts.

Robert's advice is solid. Your current approach isn't much different than when the cashier at Best Buy asks if you want the 3 year warranty. You've got one foot out the door and are transparently trying to siphon some more money from the customer.

Focus on what will add value to the customer. If you wouldn't necessarily consider the upsell important if you were in their shoes, then it's probably not a good fit. When you understand the customer's needs, then you will naturally mention certain add-ons and it will come natural and not feel like an upsell to the customer.

(3)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 29, 2017

Why not upsell extra cameras or at least the labor and wire to pull wire to where a camera would go in the future?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 29, 2017

You mean like offer to wire up for more cameras and whatever so we won't have to rip open walls in the future if they decide to add on? Do customers often go for that? Do you have a pitch that works?

John Bazyk
Mar 30, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Last time you got your oil changed and the tech went through all of the things the manufacturere recommended you do with your care at xxx miles did you buy it?

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 30, 2017

Sometimes, if it was something I was going to get anyway and just forgot, but I see what you mean. 

John Bazyk
Mar 30, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Here's my advice, you don't need to line item everything for them in your initial proposal. Just include it. Take a UPS, for example, everyone needs a UPS, but if you put it on the quote, they may tell you they don't need it and to take it out. If you put it as an option, they'll almost never buy it.

If you want to learn how to "upsell" you should consider interviewing with us. If you're a good fit, we can teach you to "upsell." Send me your resume if you're interested in making a move. If your location works for us, and if you fit our culture, maybe we can all make money together. john@commandco.com You seem like you're willing to learn, these are the kinds of people we like to bring on-board.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Mar 30, 2017

I would buy these two books today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Little-But-Very-Powerful-Book-on-Closing-by-Jeffrey-Gitomer-Hardcover-Book-/391342493296?hash=item5b1dd48e70:g:XPEAAOSwUdlWbxpJ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeffrey-Gitomers-Little-Red-Book-Of-Selling-12-5-Principles-Of-Sales-2005-HC-/172599284152?hash=item282fb811b8:g:qwoAAOSwax5Y20Qx

"A sale is always made.  You either sell them on 'yes', or they sell you on 'no'."

(2)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Mar 31, 2017

I would add "Go For No", as well.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 30, 2017

Just a little bit for you to consider.  

If you are adding for these at the end you haven't built the need and the benefit in the process. 

If you ask "Do you want the optional insurance on a rental car, but the weather doesn't look bad to me as a first time visitor, well, I'm cheap and I'm gonna say no".

If you point out the fact that it might hail and that's not covered without insurance and then point to a car on the lot that was returned with dents on the hood during the process,

I'm still cheap, but more likely to say yes because I see the need and benefit.

Start early in the process identifying needs over wants and turn features into benefits which they will buy. 

"I'm thinking we should provide a locked rack to protect your investment, looking at that mop bucket over there in the corner"

(2)
CB
Cullen Brannan
Mar 31, 2017

Really good information M4. I liked the analogies. 

Joseph Parker
Mar 31, 2017

This is a very common struggle, and I sympathize immensely.  My top 5 list for my techs is:

1.  Pick things you are passionate about and focus on those.  That could be physical security, battery backups, or anything else you've got personal experience to share or good stories in general.  

2.  Seeding is key.  Mention up sells early and often.

3.  Is it an upsell or non optional?   For example, if we take over a system and no battery backup is in place, clients are informed that we will be installing them.  It's not even a question, and IF they ask explain you are a professional company that doesn't let your clients take foolish risk. 

4.  (This is for techs, probably not applicable to sales people) Sell only what you believe in.  In my AV business, if I have a tech that thinks high end cables are a colossal waste of money I don't want him attempting that upsell.  His perceptions are going to bleed through, and not only will he fail at the sale but their relationship will be damaged.

5.  Know your client!  Upsell work best when you know what they are after.  Client A may want to impress the neighbors, Client B may want to save his business money, and Client C may be a "bang for you buck guy".  Discussing the "value" of something with client A won't be productive, he wants to see whiz bang features.  Ask leading questions and you'll get all the info you need.  

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions