960P Vs 720p Cameras

I see 3 years ago you did a post on Pelco and 960P. (960P not to be confused with analog 960H) The reason I bring it up now is because I have seen a few Asian OEM'ers promoting 960P in the past few weeks with HD-CVI cameras. It makes me wonder why?

I have seen 960P catch on as a fan favorite with GOPro cams, but that makes sense. The only other time I have seen it is with Foscam.

960p (1280 x 960) is really just the step brother to 1.3MP / 1280 x 1024, which has been around forever.

I guess 960p is a way for them to say they are better than 720p but I don't see what's new or different beyond that.

This fits in the pattern of 4:3 vs 16:9. See our Aspect Ratio 16:9 vs 4:3 Camera Shootout

Do you think the 2MP is just a cut and paste column mistake or a way to mislead?

A '2MP lens' on a 1MP sensor / stream. Yes, misleading.

Also, lenses are not really / technically rated to a specific MP.

How about a 1 MP sensor for a 1.3 MP camera? Aptina Sensor Website - According to Aptina (ON SemiConductor), this is for automotive

UPDATE - Actually it is not for automotive. It is for AIBU or MPG...whatever that is.

Also, lenses are not really / technically rated to a specific MP

Really? I see a lot of lens manufacturers rate them that way as a shorthand for lp/mm (which is less easy to remember off the top of your head how many lp/mm you need for various resolutions).

Sure, assuming they are accurately and fairly mapping lp/mm to MP :)

Is there a standard 'conversion' between lp/mm and MP? If so, what is it? Do we know if all manufacturers follow that?

That's also the highest resolution supported by the Axis P3354/3364/3384 cameras.

We actually found it to be the best resolution for our half-moon-shaped table games but the Axis cameras themselves were unable to provide two simultaneous 30fps streams so we can't use them. The shape of the tables makes ~4:3 FOV cameras a better "fit" than 16:9; which sees too much floor.