Who Makes 120FPS HD IP Cameras?

Ethan Ace
Mar 25, 2015

Aside from Merit Lilin, which has a 1080p120 model, has anyone released 120 FPS HD cameras?

This sort of framerate is extreme in all but a few niche cases, but we get questions on it from time to time.

MB
Matt Bode
Mar 26, 2015

We had this exact question last month! Basler at 90fps was all we could find.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 26, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I'm thinking the only thing out there besides the Lilin is the machine vision stuff, like this:

4MP @ 180FPS. Point Grey has a couple as well. No idea how to get it in a security VMS, then again with such a requirement, there's a good chance it would be for some type of MV app anyway.

MT
Matt Transue
Mar 26, 2015

I am not a Machine Vision expert, but my experience with Machine Vision cameras is that they provide uncompressed (RAW) data. The file sizes are HUGE and aren't realistic for a security application.

The lack of compression is what allows these cameras to run at such high frame rates even at multi-megapixel resolution.

So even if these cameras were able to send compressed data the frame rate would likely slow down.

Also, the transport method is important here. Many of the ultra high frame rate cameras use USB3 (like the PointGrey camera above from what I can see), which is not normal for surveillance infrastructures. Moving to GigE (Gigabit Ethernet) you may see lower performance on the frame rate side.

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 26, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I am not a Machine Vision expert, but my experience with Machine Vision cameras is that they provide uncompressed (RAW) data. The file sizes are HUGE and aren't realistic for a security application.

On a purely technical level HD-SDI does this, no?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 26, 2015
IPVM

How many machine vision DVRs or encoders are you aware of?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 26, 2015
IPVMU Certified

How many machine vision DVRs or encoders are you aware of?

How many HD-SDI DVR's are there?

HD-SDI outputs are used by many machine vision cameras, and they work with HD-SDI DVR's. Here's one that Gige, HD-SDI and ONVIF.

But even if there were none it doesn't affect my point. Matt is specifically referring to the infeasibility of using Machine Vision cameras with security applications in general, due to the HUGE size of the files.

My point is that HD-SDI security cameras stream uncompressed RAW files to HD-SDI security DVR's without issue. Therefore, just because a camera outputs huge, raw, uncompressed video does not make it unrealistic for security use.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 26, 2015
IPVM

The problem for machine vision cameras have been limitations on how to encode them without dedicating a server to it.

Also, at least on the resolution / quality / fidelity side, it somewhat defeats the purpose to encode them first.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Mar 26, 2015
IPVM

Let's keep this discussion to IP cameras only.

As A and Matt have discussed, there are lots of super high frame rate machine vision cameras, but they are generally not practical for video surveillance systems.

MB
Matt Bode
Mar 26, 2015

Just a correction -- Siri changed "Basler" to "Basket" on my cell phone (see first post, above). It was the only > 60 fps camera that was supported by Milestone.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 26, 2015
IPVM

Thanks, Bob, I updated that comment.

Btw, it appears that Basler is no longer making new IP cameras. I have not seen any in multiple years.

MB
Matt Bode
Mar 26, 2015

John, here is the industry journal:

http://www.vision-systems.com/

JH
John Honovich
Mar 30, 2015
IPVM

Btw, here is a Lilin 120fps marketing video. Take a look:

To me, this is actually evidence of why 120fps is not needed. The 30fps video results, even with a money counter, appears to deliver enough frames to show the money movement clearly. The 120fps is obviously better, but it's not clear to me what practical difference that would make.

(2)
Lynn Harold
Aug 19, 2016

I just found this message thread while looking for a 120fps camera. Axis now has the Q1615-E MKII, but it's not yet supported in Genetec. I am still looking if anyone has new info. Thanks.

U
Undisclosed #2
Aug 19, 2016

Why are you looking for a 120fps camera? What application?

Decoux Guilhem
Dec 05, 2017

We have such project for industrial surveillance purpose...

I found differents brands : 

http://www.sipvision.com/product/2-1mp-full-hd-1080p-120fps-ip-camera

But the other issue is recording side, for Merit we have to use their pro PC based software, not sure any NVR can do such recording right now...

I contacted our supplier Uniview / UNV to know about it (currently we use 60 fps for road surveillance).

Will keep you in touch.
(1)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions