Subscriber Discussion

OLD / CLOSED: Win $500 - What Security Company Will Be Acquired Next? (2013)

Michael Budalich
Jun 21, 2013
Genetec

3 weeks ago Avigilon purchased Red Cloud for 17 million dollars. Exacq gets purchased for $150 million in cash by Tyco.

My question to IPVM is: Who will be the next company that gets acquired? It will be interesting to hear the speculation.

[IPVM Note: We are offering a $500 price to those who guess correctly. See details inside.]

BS
Bernat Solyom
Jul 09, 2013

Pelco by Hikvision for 2 billion USD

TF
Tiago Fioreze
Jul 09, 2013

I bet on Axis (based on the latest article published by IPVM) :)

WA
Wassim Abu-Zent
Jul 09, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I think this discussion is going to cause some shakeup in many companies' stocks.

"Did you hear, someone thinks company X is going to be sold!!"

JH
Jason Hutter
Jul 09, 2013

Verint

SS
Scott Sheldrake
Jul 09, 2013
Vivotek by IQinvison.
JH
John Honovich
Jul 09, 2013
IPVM

"Vivotek by IQinVision"

Well, Vivotek does about 5x the revenue of IQinVision (~$100 million USD for Vivotek vs ~$20 million for IQinVision). That would be a very hard deal for IQinVision to pull off!

That said, IQinVision being acquired sounds reasonable. They've struggled for a long time and are now distant laggards in terms of market share and growth.

SS
Scott Sheldrake
Jul 09, 2013
I still say Vivotek by someone. They are the closest thing to an "axis killer" I've seen since ACTi started to pick up steam and then lost it completely a few years back. (All my opinion of course). Vivotek seems like the logical choice for someone wanting to stop the bleeding (ie buy them and control them) or ride their success upwards!
JH
John Honovich
Jul 09, 2013
IPVM

Scott, I do think Vivotek would be a good acquisition target (though I do not know what their openness to being acquired is). Obviously, if the price was right but it would have to be fairly high, given how big they already are.

One thing that probably makes Vivotek less motivated to get acquired is that they are already a publicly traded company in Taiwan with a market capitalization of ~$300 million USD.

It is strange but US surveillance companies are disproportionately more likely to be acquired because of America's complex and costly public company requirements. As such, all things equal, the better bet is to pick a US company :)

JC
Juan Castaneda
Jul 09, 2013

I would love to say FLIR... but that is going to give me like a 0.5% chance... But lets try something else... would you accept SightLogix?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 09, 2013
IPVM

Juan, Sightlogix sounds reasonable. US company, niche analytics provider. I don't know if they will be acquired any time soon, but it's more likely than FLIR being acquired! :)

JH
John Honovich
Jul 12, 2013
IPVM

Bad news! You all lost. Panasonic acquired CameraManager.

Good news! Since no one was correct, we will roll the contest over until the next acquisition. Keep on submitting!

Michael Budalich
Jul 12, 2013
Genetec

Honestly, I never even heard of CameraManager until today. I don't think this deal is shaking up the industry. Maybe we should rename to "What meaningful security company will be acquired next?"

JH
John Honovich
Jul 12, 2013
IPVM

Oh boy! I do not want to get into a debate about who counts as 'meaningful'!

We'll keep running it until one of you wins, Ok?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 12, 2013

Triad Northern get's aquired by Walmart.

SY
Shau-Chau You
Jul 15, 2013

Pelco by a certain Chinese company

jk
justin kozak
Jul 26, 2013
Arecont vision
YL
YI-HUNG LI
Jul 26, 2013

Arecont Vision

JH
John Honovich
Jul 26, 2013
IPVM

Do you guys know something about Arecont being acquired? ;)

CC
Christopher Charleston
Jul 31, 2013

Verint

MD
Maurine Dorsey
Aug 03, 2013

Firetide

JH
John Honovich
Sep 04, 2013
IPVM

I am closing this contest. If the next acquisition is a company any of you chose previously, you will win.

I am hearing persistent rumors about one company in particular, a fairly notable company who was not selected here! We will seen, hopefully soon enough.

UM
Sep 04, 2013

"I am hearing persistent rumors about one company in particular, a fairly notable company who was not selected here!"

GE aquired by Dahua?

JH
John Honovich
Sep 04, 2013
IPVM

Well, GE Security doesn't really exist anymore. It's Interlogic now. That said, I'd be surprised if UTC sold Interlogic to Dahua.

UM
Sep 04, 2013

I was being facetious. I'll stick to my original, even though you say the rumor is a company not named here yet.

Michael Budalich
Sep 04, 2013
Genetec

I can second John's assertion that there are persistent rumors about a company not mentioned on here.

TA
Toni Alvarez
Jan 16, 2017

Aimetis

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jan 16, 2017

Salient

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 16, 2017

Vicon

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Jan 16, 2017

Iomniscent

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions