Subscriber Discussion

Which VMS That Supports Lonworks Networks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 04, 2016

I'm invited to maintain a very old project with Analog cameras, the communication system used to connect all the other system's devices is called LonWorks.

It seems that the H/W of the LonWork and the Workstations are very old and I've to replace all together with the old VMS.

What do you recommend me using as communication network to control, the IR , external switches , the D/N mode of the cameras ... and what is the best VMS that supports that communication system.

Thanks a lot for all positive sharing and advises.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 05, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

How many cameras are there? Are you trying to sled uphill?

UI
Mar 12, 2016

Dear Jon,

Sorry for my late reply,

I've 200 Cameras, 200 Infra Red (to control for On/Off), 200 PIR (send alarms as contact close ).

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 05, 2016

Ethernet. If you need I/O modules they are available and several VMS platforms can receive inputs and control outputs from them. as for controlling the function of the camera for Day/Night, preset, alarms, that's a function of the VMS and camera integration.

(1)
UI
Mar 12, 2016

Sorry for my late reply,

Which I/O modules brands you suggest, and can I use the existing twisted wires already connected in the system ?

For the D/N switches (it's an analog system), I've to send a 12V command to the switch inside the camera to open or close, that is done by Lon node).

Brian Karas
Mar 05, 2016
IPVM

Which LonWork's I/O modules are you trying to integrate with?

I'm not sure (will have to test later), but there is a small chance you could cobble something together with Exacq for this.

UI
Mar 12, 2016

Dear Brian,

Sorry for my late reply,

I'm using very old model PCLTA-10 PC card from Echelon, and Lon node at the device edge.

I may upgrade it to PCLTA 21 Adaptor, but I don't know if the existing Lon node is compatible or not.

Brian Karas
Mar 12, 2016
IPVM

If you really want to keep what sounds like very old cameras, I think your best option might be to replace the Lon controllers with an I/O module supported by your preferred VMS. There are many more options to choose from that way.

UI
Mar 13, 2016

Dear Brian, although the system is very old, but still the quality of the cameras and the accuracy of the video motion boards from Adpro are functioning very good and sufficient for the client's needs.

What brands and models you suggest as I/O modules (working with twisted pair cable network) and compatible VMS ?

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 05, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Is the physical network based on propreitery FT-10 transceivers or is Ethernet with Lonworks IP tunneling?

UI
Mar 12, 2016

Sorry for my late reply

I'm not able to answer your question, but in the working station I've this PCI board installed: PCLTA-10 (PC card Echelon 9823E M/N73401) and at each device there is module is called lon node connected via twisted pair wire (over long distance reaches 1200 m for the farthest node).

Does that help ?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions