Subscriber Discussion

Which Scenes In This Video Are Fake?

CP
Carlton Purvis
Jul 19, 2013

This video was part of a Coca-Cola's ad campaign last year and this year it made TED's 2013 list of 10 “Ads Worth Spreading.”

Coca-Cola had this to say about it:"The reputation of security cameras is, of course, inherently negative. Their very existence seems to imply that the world is a scary, dangerous place ... we wanted to capitalize on the 'shock value' of security cameras capturing the best side of humanity as opposed to the worst."

They also admit that not all of the scenes are authentic: "In a few cases, it simply proved impossible to find the people featured in the footage to compensate them for the usage rights, so we re-created the real scenes exactly."

Here is the ad:

I feel like the first scene of two people kissing is definitely fake. What's your take on it? Does anyone have any ideas which other ones are likely fake?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 19, 2013
IPVM

Ethan says the camera at the beginning is a dummy one:

"Despite the fact that almost no cameras have lights on the front of them anymore, dummy camera manufacturers insist upon sticking them on there. The only way the cabling could come out of there is through the mount, but the way it's constructed, I don't see how that would work."

Most of them seem like reproductions. If the frame rate looks smooth, it's likely a reproduction!

CP
Carlton Purvis
Jul 19, 2013

Looking at it more closely now, it looks like that camera is computer generated.

And Coke in this post says most of them aren't reproductions. I wish they would have told which were/weren't though.

Derek Ward
Jul 19, 2013
Hanwha

I think the last scene is fake. Gotta stick that brand in there somewhere.

Scott Thomas
Jul 19, 2013
  • The Black camera tilting downward appears to be fake - it looks to be an exterior cam with no housing, and only tilt capability
  • The "music addicts" clip is shot from almost eye level at full FPS - far to smooth to be actual security cam

That said - it's a great commercial

MI
Matt Ion
Jul 19, 2013

I do like this version of the song :)

Carl Lindgren
Jul 20, 2013

"The only way the cabling could come out of there is through the mount, but the way it's constructed, I don't see how that would work."

It's wireless!

LH
Lori Hsieh
Jul 21, 2013

Does it really matter? It's a commercial.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions