Subscriber Discussion

Which Manufacturers Do Not Have Smart Codecs?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 24, 2017

I know Avigilon recently has started rolling out smart codecs and some manufacturers even have H.265 and smart codecs such as Panasonic.  Which manufacturers have no smart codecs at this point in time?  I believe Pelco and Bosch do not at this point - are there others?

Ethan Ace
Apr 24, 2017

Pelco does but not on all cameras. They say it's coming in firmware soon for the Surevision 3. It's already included on the Optera.

Bosch is introducing them in their new cameras announced at ISC.

We'll have tests of both of those coming up.

(1)
DP
Darron Parker
May 01, 2017

Our Spectra PTZ Next Gen lineup (both Pro & Enhanced) & our Sarix NG Pro is done, enhanced released very soon

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Million dollar questions regarding Smart CODECs:

1. Why did it take so long for someone to think of variable GOP length?
  2. When they did, why couldn't the intellectual property be protected?

(1)
Ethan Ace
Apr 24, 2017

Bosch has actually been doing variable GOP length for years. Since at least 2011/12. But the interval extends up to 2 seconds, if I remember correctly. 

Also if I remember correctly, several H.264 encoders (such as x264) allowed variable I-frames, maybe even by default. I think it was popular in the days when file sizes were huge and internet was slow but people still demanded their movies via Bittorrent. 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Bosch has been doing variable GOP length for years...

Correct me if I'm wrong but 1 sec GOP averages are not uncommon, so I guess they didn't see the huge reductions seem elsewhere because of the 2 sec limit.  Bosch being conservative.

Btw, if memory doesn't fail me I remember seeing that Geuterbruk was using variable length GOPs with mpeg 10+ years ago.  

So maybe they didn't realize what they had.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions