Subscriber Discussion

Which Access Control Line To Go With: Paxton Or ICT

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 14, 2015

We are looking to expand our Access control options. Two lines that we are looking at are ICT and Paxton.

We are trying to decide which to go with. So far the only comparison we found is from the manufacturers literature. Those that have used both, which do you like better and why?

JH
John Honovich
Jul 14, 2015
IPVM

How'd you get to choose between ICT and Paxton? I ask because we can probably provide a better answer if we understand a little what is important to you.

(1)
UI
Jul 15, 2015

I am looking for a lean system that is easy to use and that has a lot of bang for the buck.We have been folling around with ICT and like the features, however we know that a lot of the competitors in town or going with paxton so want to see how it stacks up

MM
Michael Miller
Jul 15, 2015

Are you looking for an access control only solution or access/alarm panel? Both are nice solutions so it depends what you a looking for. Paxton is access/intercom only and ICT is access/alarm/intercom solution. What is really nice with ICT WX solution is it's all browser based and supports 128 doors, 512 inputs and 10,000 users. I will say there is more of a learning curve with ICT over Paxton.

UI
Jul 15, 2015

We would rather an alarm as well. However we see alot of local people going with paxton so I want to make sure I am not losing out an anything because we want the all in one.

Re the intercom, from my research the ICT intercom only works with the GX line, but correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 15, 2015

Don't know about ICT but can add that Paxton is simple to use and the hardware is rock solid. I have never had a defective panel or any piece of hardware for that matter. They use proprietary hardware with a 5 year warranty and have great tech support. Programming Net2 Plus panels with their software takes a fraction of the time over setting up a system based on Mercury or other open hardware. I don't work for the company.

KL
Keefe Lovgren
Jul 15, 2015
IPVMU Certified

ICT is dealer direct correct? And Paxton is available through most distributors, that may affect your decision as well.

Mark McRae
Jul 15, 2015
Inaxsys Security Systems

Hi,

We've been an ICT distributor for the last 11 years.

ICT is sold on the market using a number of different channels, depending on the country. ICT has 2 different product lines (Protege WX and Protege GX) that are sold differently in some countries.

Protege WX is a web-based unified alarm and access control system that does 128 doors, 512 alarm zones, 32 alarm areas/partitions, 10000 Users (cards/codes). There is no software with WX, the web-based UI is built directly into the main system controller. You do not need to be certified to install WX, although certification (done online, takes about 3-4 hours with a 1 hour exam) will unlock a number of advanced functions (elevator control, automation functions, video verification, more) for your installations once it is completed. WX is an extremely simple system to set-up and program.

Canada: WX is primarily sold through distribution (ADI, Anixter, APA, Tri-Ed).

US: WX is sold both through distribution (SES, Tri-Ed; serviced through a master distributor called Inaxsys) or dealer direct (through the ICT corporate office in Denver).

Other countries: WX is generally sold through country-appointed distributors who handle the local regulations, translations, local tech support, local marketing, etc... One main exception to this is New Zealand (ICT's home country market) which is only dealer-direct.

Protege GX is an enterprise-class unified access control and alarm system. It can manage an unlimited number of doors, controllers, cards, sites, cameras, inputs, outputs, etc... It has very large integration capabilities with a fully developed and documented API (using SOAP). It offers high-level video integration to a number of platforms (Avigilon, Exacq, IVTVision, Panasonic, DVTEL, Guetebruck, HIKVision, Dahua, Milestone, ONSSI, Mobotix, Pelco Digital Sentry, Pelco Endura) and high-level elevator integration to the 4 main elevator companies. GX requires integrator certification which is offered as an online course (about 16 hours) as well as classroom-style. An exam with passing grade of 80% is required to become certified (as well as other certification requirements).

Canada: GX is sold dealer direct or through distribution (ADI, Anixter, APA, Tri-Ed). There is always a direct relationship between the dealer and us when using GX, even is the dealer buiys through distribution. Dealers must be certified to buy GX through distribution.

US: GX is sold only dealer-direct and is serviced through the ICT corporate office in Denver. Those dealer-direct GX accounts will generally also buy WX direct in the US.

Other countries: GX is generally sold through country-appointed distributors who handle the local regulations, translations, local tech support, local marketing, etc... One main exception to this is New Zealand (ICT's home country market) which is only dealer-direct.

(9)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions