Subscriber Discussion

When Or Will AR / VR Replace Command Centers?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jan 10, 2018

Do any of you think AR or VR will be a viable replacement for command centers and disrupt that niche market?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 11, 2018

How do you see it being implemented?

AR may be successful in the mobile phone market but is certainly not disruptive.  VR is not quite stillborn but seems to be struggling in the gaming market which is the ideal target demographic right now.  I have not seen big growth outside of video gaming to date.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jan 11, 2018

Well to start, VMS using AR or VR instead of video walls. I am predicting a major VMS manufacturer implementing or developing this. Once stakeholders realize cost savings similar to that of virtualizing data centers, this will gain momentum. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 12, 2018

Maybe.  The resolution, interface, performance, and ergonomics would have to mature greatly.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 12, 2018

After VR is more mature, meaning that the resolution is sufficient and they're not a mess of cables anymore, there would indeed be some incentive in rethinking the ways of monitoring security systems. Right now the main technical problem is that the resolution is lacking, but is about to get better, hopefully. The inconvenience of cables isn't such a big deal, considering how much wiring and hardware is involved with a typical surveillance center, let alone space considerations and overall cost.

I predict that some of this will happen after using a computer desktop in VR is feasible for every day tasks, which basically requires advances in resolution and ergonomics, as #2 already mentioned. If some company wants to implement it sooner, they should design an interface for a set of tasks that benefit from such sense of presence. That might also take considerable time to pull off well enough that it's more than just a gimmick on a sales brochure. Someone's going to do it anyway, one way or another.

AR might be nice too for cases where you need to move about, instead of zooming inside a wholly virtual environment, but it's somewhat more constrained in what you can do with it.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions