Subscriber Discussion

Is Speco OEMing Dahua? [Yes]

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Just saw this in the ADI email today. I wasn't aware that Speco was OEM'ing Dahua. Is this new, or did it just slip under my radar? I intentionally blurred out all pricing as to not offend anyone here.... ;) 

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

2-digit pricing? ouch!

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I blurred it to seem that way.... or did I?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 04, 2017
IPVM

I changed the title to "Is Speco OEMing Dahua?"

If or when we confirm it is true, we can change it appropriately.

Ari is emailing Speco.

JD, what specific elements do you think make it a Dahua OEM? Because it physically looks like Dahua or because you checked the MAC OUI or web interface?

(1)
Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 04, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

That's fair. I don't have one on hand, but I know a Dahua OEM when I see one. I'm not sure if this is news to the industry or not, but looking at their webpage, they have quite a few models in common with Dahua and their OEM partners. Some are painted grey instead of white, but they sure are ringers for the real thing.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Jan 04, 2017
Independent

We have a Panjiva confirmation, at least for their brackets. Which guarantees they have the cameras. Then again Speco OEMs a LOT of companies it seems.

Hitron, Digitek, Gsu, CNB

What exactly is going on there?

Ethan Ace
Jan 04, 2017

Historically, a lot of the larger western "manufacturers" were OEMing from multiple companies. I can tell you from experience it was the reason why Honeywell dealers had to keep 3-4 viewing clients installed on their laptops. I'm sure they weren't/aren't the only one. It used to drive me nuts. 

(1)
(1)
Kyle Folger
Jan 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I personally don't get it. It gets really terrible when you go to Apple's App store and search for different manufacturers. Take DW for instance, I get about 8 different apps that come up and they all look different. The thing I don't understand is that DW has their Spectrum App and then they also advertise Nx's rebranded Spectrum App. DW's has for features but has one of the WORST GUI's I have used Nx's designed version is way better but has more limited features. It would be much better to work together since one of the companies knows how to design a phone GUI and one doesn't.

That's one thing I like about the Pro Audio market. Take Shure or Symetrix or almost any of the trusted brands in pro audio. All the software is generally the same or similar with almost nothing new to learn. Symetrix uses similar software across all platforms so moving from one to the other simply has expanded features, but you aren't learning something completely foreign. Yamaha digital mixing consoles have basically used the same interface design and refined it. You can go from their older large format analog consoles to their newest and see similarities in design.

I almost wish that the same thing held true with surveillance companies. It's very hard to keep everything consistent when you don't have your own R&D. Even the bottom of the audio market, Behringer, is making decent products. They would be like Dahua or Hikvision but their software is much more refined for the most part. They were smart though. They copied many other companies designs made them cheaper, got a lot of money in the band, started Music Group, and bought almost every top tier brand in the pro audio market. Now they have multiple R&D departments to borrow designs from to carry out in their lower end products.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Playing catch-up to Panasonic

JH
John Honovich
Jan 04, 2017
IPVM

Speco's response:

Speco went to contract OEM suppliers in China, unfortunately, a lot of the products have a similar look and feel.

Ethan is ordering one and will have definitive confirmation one way or the other next week.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Speco's response:

Speco went to contract OEM suppliers in China...

Undisclosed #1 feels Speco is already distancing themselves with that third-person response.

(1)
Armando Perez
Jan 05, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

I know about a year ago I spotted a speco cam with a dahua manual in the box, but it was at least a slightly different form factor than the readily available dahuas. Commoditization here we come!

JH
John Honovich
Jan 31, 2017
IPVM

JD, good find. We tested and confirmed that Speco is OEMing Dahua. New post: Struggling Speco OEMs Dahua

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions