Subscriber Discussion

What Would You Look For In A Practical Surveillance Drone?

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 26, 2016
Independent

Other than the obvious of being integrate-able into existing IP security systems, what are some key features you would want to see for the future of surveillance?

I'm thinking that it could take data from intelligent video analysis and provide extra coverage to potential disturbances, inductive charging bases for self-maintaining patrols, wifi radars, accessories for maintaining links over large distances, VMS integration, etc etc.

What are the community's thoughts?

Ari Erenthal
Dec 26, 2016

My top ten:

1) range and long battery life

2) ease of use

3) range and long battery life

4) collision avoidance

5) range and long battery life

6) long transmission distance without requiring repeaters 

7) range and long battery life

8) target acquisition, recognition, and tracking

9) range and long battery life

10) VMS integration

(1)
Brian Karas
Dec 26, 2016
IPVM

Some thoughts:

Something that doesn't sound like a weed whip on steroids all the time so that it could be used near people, residential areas, shopping districts without being annoying.

Ability to fly in moderate weather, something beyond what "blinds" a PTZ, otherwise you might as well just deploy more PTZs.

On-board storage and VMS integration to capture higher-res images while flying, but minimize the need to try and stream that data real-time over Wifi or 4G links back to recorder.

Automated ability to swap out imaging modules - fly with a PTZ one time, a thermal camera the next time, a standard camera and IR illuminator, etc. This would provide an ability to pick the best response configuration for a given situation without having the added weight (which reduces flight time) all the time.

And a minimum flight time of 40 minutes.

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 26, 2016
Independent

"Automated ability to swap out imaging modules - fly with a PTZ one time, a thermal camera the next time, a standard camera and IR illuminator, etc. This would provide an ability to pick the best response configuration for a given situation without having the added weight (which reduces flight time) all the time."

Ooooh, so maybe a self-loading camera attachment feed system that'll allow it to change "cartridges" that's integrated to its landing pad/charge system?

Oh and don't forget fisheyes.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 27, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Something that doesn't sound like a weed whip on steroids all the time...

I think you're on to something there.  With sharpened propellers, an inverted quadcopter would make a hell of a weed whacker.

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Do we really need a PTZ option on a flying object capable of endless movements?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 28, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Do we really need a PTZ option on a flying object capable of endless movements?

Do security guards need necks?

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

Do desks need drawers?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Do desks need drawers?

No, but I really find them helpful, don't you?

So it's helpful if a drone can fly in one direction and view in a variety of other ones, or a guard can tour and look on both sides.

Also, even a moderate amount of tilting is unsustainable without some motion.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

How many cameras per drone? How many more controls per drone are humanly possible with a single operator? 

FTR, I totally get zoom, but pan and tilt are redundant and unnecessary IMO. Just more parts that can fail.

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...but pan and tilt are redundant and unnecessary IMO.

Have you ever seen a drone tilt and hover at the same time?

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Yes, it's called pitch and roll. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Jon, drones can't hover* at an angle** Its hard enough to make them steady when they're level.***

*remain motionless with respect to ground

**Assuming no wind and no tilt rotor.

***I can't believe I got trolled ;)

Jon Dillabaugh
Jan 02, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I can't find anything to link to but I saw something on TV about drones and they were like an Osprey where their rotors could rotate, which allowed for more flexible flight. I'm not that familiar with drones TBH, so I thought that was a normal thing for drones. Looking now, after this discussion, I see that was a bad assumption. 

Armando Perez
Jan 02, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

Do drawers need locks? Wait, Im afraid Ive gone WAY offtopic.

MM
Michael Miller
Jan 02, 2017

Yes a PTZ would be helpful and if you look at most professional drones they all have gimbals to stabilize and PT the cameras.      

It would be helpful to have the drone fly to various waypoints which would allow the operator to control the camera while the flight controller to handle the flying.   Also, it would be useful to have the drone hover (again controlled by the flight controller locked on by GPS) which would allow the operator to man the PTZ camera.  This will give the user a much better experience than trying to position the drone to get the shot they are looking for. 

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

One that could be legally operated without requiring one operator per drone.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Dec 26, 2016
Independent

Well, when the products become more commonplace for campus based security, I'm pretty sure there will be lobbies for law changes concerning operation by the property owners within their own airspace. Block licensing for automated systems, so to speak.

This also begs the question, what about small microdrones (sub 250g) used in swarm instead of large drones? FLIR's Black Hornet comes to mind (as reported by IPVM). I could see that do wonders with creative enough programmers.

U
Undisclosed #1
Dec 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm pretty sure there will be lobbies for law changes concerning operation by the property owners within their own airspace.

I can't wait to see the technology they'll have by then.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Dec 27, 2016

Must be able to pull a full grown man on a snowboard.

(2)
(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 27, 2016

I would want to know if a drone was in my vicinity. I want all drones to broadcast some for of CID or MAC address identifier so that I can pick up that event on my phone or other device. I should be able to log into DRONEBOOK (someone go invent this) and from here see all the routes taken by an identified drone. Onboard GPS could track and log all drones activity; this should be a requirement so that people can have a document path to look back at the drones surveillance. Think about the soon 20 megepixel telephoto drones that can eavesdrop at 200 feet. You won't even hear them. Last but not least the on board computing metrics will soon be linked to Google Maps and other services., with facial ID and analytics you have not even heard of well...

Tin foil hats on fellas, here we come.

RT
Ryan Twitchell
Dec 28, 2016
  1. Safety and reliability, including redundant props and automated "return to base" feature on connection loss and low battery.
  2. 1 hour or greater battery life.
  3. Usable in rain, snow, 10 - 20 MPH winds.
  4. Relaxing the current operator line of sight requirement.  At least such that licensed operators could (for example) use PTZs to watch a drone.
  5. Intelligent navigation, including collision prevention and patrols.
  6. Auto-landing and automated battery changer - drone lands, gets new battery, ready for takeoff.
  7. Laser-sighted Nerf gun.
(1)
Mark Palka
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

First off as a pilot, Arial Drones are limited by winds and cross winds which hurt their ability to show up for work. Even the cameras that are on football fields with a guide wire are susceptible to winds. That said the 3 things I have been considering is 1- it must be self docking to a recharge station, 2- it needs to have pre programmable flights paths 3- it needs remote controllable thru the VMS

RS
Robert Shih
Mar 10, 2017
Independent

I just added non-lethal apprehension methods to my wishlist. </pipedream>

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions