Subscriber Discussion

What Will Be The Trump Tariff Effects Upon The Security Industry?

Jonathan Pine
Apr 15, 2018

I read the list of all of the Chinese made products that are being slapped with a 25% tariff as they enter the US.  Many seem to fall into categories that would include surveillance cameras, recording devices, as well as the PCB's used in assembling these products in the US.  I cannot find any articles written on how that may effect domestic manufacturers and which of the OEM's may be negatively affected.   My company repairs out-of-warranty surveillance equipment.  Therefore, my major competition is the price associated with replacement of this equipment rather than having it repaired.  When repair prices are approximately 25-40% of replacement, I am wondering if demand for repair will increase as a result of the inexpensive replacement solutions getting pricier.  Thoughts?  I would welcome any insights and opinions.  Jonathan Pine, Renova Technology. 

Charles Rollet
Apr 16, 2018

Good question. IPVM has actually published a post on this before, with some updates in the comments (US/China Tariffs Impact on Video Surveillance.) What's most important to keep in mind is that the list of tariffs on Chinese-made products is only potential right now; they're a threat made by the US. So we really don't know if the list will expand, stay the same, or be dropped altogether. There are some signs that China is moving in the US' direction on this issue, but nothing is certain. As for surveillance cameras, some components may be affected, but overall surveillance cameras are not included (for now.)

Jonathan Pine
Apr 16, 2018

Thank you   I found the article helpful,  j

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions