Subscriber Discussion

What VMSes Support GPU Load Processing?

Ari Erenthal
Mar 10, 2014
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Follow up- does anyone know which VMS manufacturers will support GPU load processing? PNY was just here and I'm now eager to try a Quadro out on a customer's application.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Graphics Card Recommendations - Milestone And Avigilon

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 10, 2014

The only one I have ever heard of who made a big deal out of talking about using GPU processing is NLSS. However, NLSS doesn't permit you to install their software on your hardware. They require you to use their custom built servers.

ML
Mark Lewis
Mar 10, 2014

What exactly do you mean by "Support GPU Load Processing" ?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 10, 2014
IPVM

I believe using GPUs to process / display video on a client.

ML
Mark Lewis
Mar 10, 2014

Ah got it. Just realized the OP may mean video decompression etc for processing

PK
Peter Kim
Mar 11, 2014

Doesn't some Video card come w/ HW h.264 decoding?

Nvidia PureVideo - Wikipedia

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 11, 2014

I assumed it was using the GPU on the server side, and not just for recording video but also processing analytics, so that's how I answered it.

U
Undisclosed
Mar 11, 2014

I think that none of them like Milestone, Genetec, etc...but I've heard Avigilon have implemented CUDA protocol from nVidia graphic cards to use it and unload processor...true or not...I don't know.

AK
Alex K
Mar 11, 2014

Yes Avigilon uses CUDA from nVidia in ACC 5

Sergey Bystrov
Mar 11, 2014
NetworkOptix

Here is my understanding:

Nvidia and ATI cards do not have much decoding on-board. With most top video cards recently introduced second decoder inside GPU, and I believe you still limited with 1080p resolution.

Intel HD graphics are different with QuickSych. However it is windows only and, more importantly, monitor must be connected to this video card in order to make QuickSych available. So average laptop with second, third and forth gen of iX processor having external (extra ATI or NVIDIA) video card has no QuickSych, regardless of the fact chip is in place.

However GPU is still very useful for VMS to unload some operation from CPU rather than decoding, such as: color transformation (you know all this MPEGs/JPEG is YUV and needs to be transformed to RGB to be displayed). And of cause DEWARPING is perfect for any GPU.

We (Network Optix) use GPU a lot.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions