What Type Of LPR Cameras Are Used At Toll Booths

JH
John Honovich
Aug 02, 2016
IPVM

Anyone know what type of LPR cameras are used at toll booths? Many tool booths supporting RFID tags have LPR cameras to capture violators information and send them bills / tickets.

Is there a common vendor / supplier for this LPR functionality?

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 02, 2016

I would also like to know what IR strobes they use.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 02, 2016
IPVMU Certified

On SoCal toll roads you don't need an RFID unit anymore, they can do everything via LPR, not just violations.

Also, it would appear to be still camera LPR, and the strobe is white light, believe it or not! Maybe there is an IR source as well.

I'm thinking that you have better imaging at toll booths than red-light LPR because of the speed and the lane restriction, but I m guessing.

SP
Sean Patton
Aug 02, 2016

I can only speak to word of mouth information about the NYS Thruway system, but those were ExtremeCCTV/Bosch cameras originally when they were installed a decade ago. Most of them do not appear to have been replaced...

Bob Kusche
Aug 02, 2016

Way beyond the camera is the sophistication of the software, which can easily cost 5 times more than any camera. On top of that, facial analytics that can operate with a profile shot are coming into play as well.

Anytime you can force someone to roll down their window and slow down their car, just about any camera will do if you have the right software.

And just for fun, fly into San Jose's airport some time and prepare for a blast of 1,000,000,000 lumens in your rear view mirror as you drive in. Free tan with every parking spot!

(1)
(2)
MD
Mazyarkin Dmitry
Aug 02, 2016
I agree with the previous speaker
CY
Chris Yates
Dec 11, 2016

Yep I can attest to SJC. Wear your sunglasses when leaving parking garage

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions