Subscriber Discussion

What To Do When An Employee Threatens Violence?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 15, 2016

I believe communication is a good idea in all but one type of case. If you have a reasonable suspicion that criminal activity is involved, then early notification of law enforcement is important.

Years ago, I had occasion to fire an employee because he threatened others with workplace violence. I was concerned that he might be armed at this final interview, so I was armed (concealed) as well.

Thankfully, the interview went smoothly and uneventfully. Looking back on this years later, I cannot imagine what I was thinking. I have since learned a lot about the criminal laws of self defence, and this would have been a very dicey case - at best! At worst, I would not be writing this post. I should have advised law enforcement of the matter and stepped away.

In subsequent criminal matters, I have simply called the police.

Any other anecdotes of this kind of situation?

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Writing Up Techs, What To Do When Employees Cost You Sizable Sums?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 16, 2016

"Looking back on this years later, I cannot imagine what I was thinking."

That's what discretion being the better part of valor means. There's no way to predict what someone who is emotionally unstable will do, so better to err on the side of caution and just tell them to not come in, you'll mail them their final check and immediately warn everyone that person has been let go. And if they call to engage in an argument and threats, don't engage. Simply advise them from the start of anything construed as a threat that you have taken it as so, you will notify law enforcement, and hang up. Engaging is just their way of validating their emotions and working themselves up, to provoke you into negative reaction to justify their feelings, and maybe later actions. Don't give them the fuel.

Larger companies have started inserting subtle personality questions into their initial applications process. I think more businesses will start as the value of psychology is becoming more accepted.

(1)
UM
Aug 16, 2016

A complication was that our company had a policy of conducting exit interviews. In this case, perhaps that policy should have been bypassed.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Aug 16, 2016

An amendment, per se, needed to the usual policy. Hopefully your process is not like getting an act through Congress for the change pertaining to "extenuating" circumstances.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

What was your company's policy on 'concealed carry'?

U
Undisclosed #5
Aug 17, 2016

What is the value (to the now-former employee) of an exit interview?

UM
Aug 16, 2016

This scenario played out many years ago in a previous company that was subsequently acquired and reformed.

U
Undisclosed #4
Aug 17, 2016

Law enforcement isn't always available to respond and standby in case someone may become violent. I suggest looking for a company in your area who provides these services and arrange a plan with them in the event a situation arises. Sometimes there is little time so make sure the relationship (pricing, contracts, etc.) is pre-established and all it takes is a phone call to have an agent on site within hours if necessary.

If an employee is reported to have threatened violence and you are unsure of the nature or validity of the threat, a careful investigation is advised. Consult professional advise and services from legal, human resources, and security experts to ensure the best possible outcome.

Full disclosure: I work for a company that provides workplace violence training and security for high risk terminations.

UM
Aug 17, 2016

This was a NY State company in the early 1990's, and concealed carry was not a commonly addressed issue, particularly in NY State so the company had no policy one way or another. I suspect many companies in the NY metro area do not have such policies even today, although I know some individuals who do carry in NY companies I am associated with now.

I will keep in mind there are companies who specialize in high-risk terminations, although I am no longer in the kind of management position where that is a responsibility.

In my experience, law enforcement is never available to stand by "just in case" except at large public events or VIP visitations. There must be either a crime that has been recently committed or one immediately threatened - not a supposition.

UM
Aug 17, 2016

I don't think this exit interview was any more or less valuable than any other. He had gripes, the company had gripes, but he had made threats that justified his dismissal. I did not address those threats.

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In my experience is usually conducted by an HR employee or at least a third party, so that the employee will be more at ease.

Having the person who fired you conduct an exit interview seems unwise even without bringing guns into it.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions