How Do You Register Who Leaves A Building?

Brian Rhodes
May 18, 2013
IPVMU Certified

A member asked for input on this question: "What technology could be utilized to register employees leave a building, besides a card reader?" My answer was this:

"This question is a little thorny. First, the project needs to use read-in/read-out locking, which is not always an option per life/safety regulations. In many cases, hanging a PIN pad on both sides of the door with a camera hung adjacent was good for a multi-system documentation system. While PIN codes can be shared, the video integration helps check against this type of abuse. However, the best method of registering people while leaving meant using a supervised 'visitor management' program. We will talk about 'visitor management' towards the end of class, but it even those systems are more 'people management' than 'engineering controls'."

Your experience may be different and certainly more creative than mine. What do you think?

KL
Keefe Lovgren
May 18, 2013
IPVMU Certified

currently the camera setup you mentioned is probably the best option but may cost prohibitive for most customers... then again if you need to know when someone left the premise or a certain area you are probably running a business that can afford to have entry/exit surveillance... for strictly determining if a person has left premise or still remains I believe technology will allow new methods of determining this through geo fencing (gps), rfid methods etc...

WA
Wassim Abu-Zent
May 19, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I am not fimilar with RFIDs very well, but as with stock management of a warehouse, I assume one can implant an RFID emmitor in people's badges. That way with a handheld device you can read a list of the people even in a big crowd. Likewise, you would know if there is someone indoors.

MR
Mike Reding
May 20, 2013

It is not necessary to lock people in or take a chance on a NFPA 101 code violation to maintain at least semi accurate "who's in" reporting capability or audit trails for entry and exit. This can be accomplished by using the anti-passback features in the EAC software. It usually requires that some behavior modification be employed at the beginning of the implementation. For instance, instituting a hard passback rule within the software would allow the credentialed person to enter but if the person did not "read out" upon leaving, then his credentials would not allow re-entry forcing this person to confront a supervisor or security person for a hand slap. Once this behavior, (read in, read out) becomes habit and all are aware of the consequences of deterring from policy, then the anti-passback rule can be softened...say to forgive and report exceptions each day at midnight. With this report, supervisors can still go to the violators and slap hands. I have even seen a third violation be grounds for dismissal. This was in a lab that frequently used and stored radioactive isotopes.

U
Undisclosed
May 21, 2013

I would approach this with a video analytic such people counting. See IPVM's discussion, which seems very interesting, on " What People Counting Analytics Should I Use?"

JH
John Honovich
May 21, 2013
IPVM

Douglas, if all you wanted to do was know when and how many people have left the building that would be good. I am assuming, though, that the implication of this question is that they want to track specific people, i.e., "which persons have (or have not) left?" Yes/no?

U
Undisclosed
May 21, 2013

John,

Yes I believe so. I was looking at it differently with respect to what "register" is actually trying to describe and if registration was really necessary or not. But that's why I'm in class to learn about other technologies available. From the readings above, I am assuming by what is available with read in / read out, visitor management and time & attendance integration and the associated product componets it can become an expensive feature.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions