Subscriber Discussion

What Surveillance Systems Allow Operators To Delete Video?

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 12, 2017
JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It sounds like they reformatted the drive, or replaced the drive since all data was gone. I know Dahua devices allow a reformat of the drive.

With 12 hours and a bunch of college kids, it would be pretty easy to google the issue, find a solution. find a hard drive locally and replace it.

On small systems like these, nobody cares about security. I see managers handing out the same user name and password to maint staff, courtesy officers etc 20 minutes after I explain the importance of unique user names for each user.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 12, 2017

I love the word "may".  

It "may" have just overwritten.  Writers use that word to allow so much vaguity without the ability to be proven wrong.

Vicon "may" have just acquired Hikvision, according to "an anonymous source" who is not authorized to talk.  Highly unlikely in that I just created it and my pet was the source of my inspiration, therefore she is not authorized (or capable) of speaking on the subject.

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2017

there was much surveillance of the dead pledge falling down and appearing to be disoriented and suffering from head trauma throughout the night and next morning on cameras from the first floor..... if the drive was reformatted how could that evidence exist?

Did they have 2 separate surveillance systems?  That seems unlikely.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Aug 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The way I read that is all footage before the 6th was deleted. I do not see anything about footage of the victim. Maybe you found another article with more info. It also says surveillance camera. Maybe it was a private single camera like Nest or something and it just didn't hold that much data to begin with.

That is why I think the drive was reformatted/replaced

U
Undisclosed #1
Aug 13, 2017

I linked to that particular article since it mentioned deleting of surveillance video from the basement of the frat house.  There are thousands of articles that acknowledge that there is video of the events leading up to the death - like this one:

Prosecutors Present Surveillance Video Of Events Leading To Penn State Pledge's Death

I agree that a standalone device (such as NEST, etc that you mention) in the basement is certainly a possibility... I hadn't thought of that.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 14, 2017

DA files new charges in case after FBI restores deleted video files from basement DVR (which was 1 of 2 Speco Tech DVRs that police seized).

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions