Subscriber Discussion

What Smoke Detector Would You Use To Hook Up To An Alarm Panel (Not Fire) Via A Contact?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 23, 2016

What smoke detector would you use to hook up to a regular alarm panel (not fire) via either a NO or NC contact?

Thank you

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 23, 2016

All 4 wire smoke detectors have a dry contact relay that as a minimum is "normally open, closed on alarm" which allows you to supervise the wiring with an end-of-line resistor and a power supervision relay either as an add on or internal.

That's the good news.

The bad news for most of the western civilization says if it detects smoke, it's a fire device and its installation is regulated.

Smoke detectors come in 120VAC stand alone, 24VDC and 12VDC. Some will have an auxiliary relay which can be Form C for other purposes like elevator recall or smoke damper control.

(1)
UI
Aug 23, 2016

In which way would it be regulated. I am looking at an apartment building. The individual apartments are not required to have a central smoke detector. But I would like to have a way that the management can see if one goes off in a room.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If your jurisdiction recognizes NFPA 72: National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, an R2 occupancy like an apartment building will be heavily regulated.

Management locally monitoring versus a central station is immaterial in many requirements, both in terms of equipment listing/approval, installation methods, and sensor placement.

UI
Aug 23, 2016

This would be in NJ.

Thanks

UI
Aug 23, 2016

Run that idea by the local AHJ and see what they think. Get it in writing.

(1)
(1)
Brian Rhodes
Aug 23, 2016
IPVMU Certified

NFPA 72 (2013) Section 3.3.268.2 –

Proprietary Supervising Station Service:

The use of a system or group of systems including the protected premises fire alarm system(s) in which the operation of circuits and devices are signaled to, recorded in, and supervised from a
supervising station under the same ownership as the protected premises that has
competent and experienced operators who, upon receipt of a signal, take such action as
required by this Code. Related activities at the protected premises, such as equipment
installation, inspection, testing, maintenance, and runner service, are the responsibility
of the owner. Proprietary supervising station service is controlled and operated by the
entity whose properties are the protected premises

UI
Aug 23, 2016

Brian listed the various code sections that apply. The AHJ has final approval of how they will apply. The AHJ is usually the local Fire Marshall but could also be the electrical or insurance company, or all of the above.

In fire, you learn the words "shall", "should", "may" and "will" and those are in quotes because they are subject to interpretation.

Your application could be interpreted as a local annunciatior which "could" require a listed/approved device installed in a listed method (NEC/NFPA) and submitted for approval to the AHJ.

It could also trigger a requirement to bring the system to ADA which "could" involve a complete upgrade to horn/strobes in the proper locations and candela and new low frequency notification devices.

Or the local AHJ can say "as long as it doesn't interfere with the required operation, I don't care" which is less likely but I have seen it.

As a background nite, I should have tested for NICET 4 as I had the design and project management experience but after passing NICET 2 and all 34 sections at one sitting I got lazy. Oh well, gave it up anyway.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions