What Should We Test?

Ethan Ace
Mar 31, 2017

Cameras, VMS, analytics, access, intrusion, you name it. Answers must give reasoning, not just a name. 

I'll talk more about what's in queue for testing later, so as not to influence answers right from the start!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 31, 2017

Wait for ISC West to be over first?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 31, 2017
IPVM

Wait for ISC West to be over first?

We continuously look for products to test as we average ~10 a month. 

Surely there will be some products announced recently that will be test worthy though almost all of them will take months to ship as companies generally pre-announce products (e.g., we are still waiting for the Axis 20MP to be released which was announced almost 8 months ago but should be shipping soon).

UI
Apr 10, 2017

Suggesting the iSTAR Ultra Video Edge on the docket as it is not available for another "2 months."  Should be a nice add on for remote sites.  Nice little access control box that includes video licenses too.

http://www.swhouse.com/Products/istar-ultra-video.aspx

(1)
Rainald Schulte-Eppendorf
Dec 02, 2019
Santa Cruz Video Security LLC

Do you mean the AXIS P3719-PLE?

JH
John Honovich
Dec 02, 2019
IPVM

P3719-PLE

The P3719-PLE is still not shipping. Axis says it will ship soon so we will likely test it early next year.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 31, 2017

Avigilon appearance search.  While I am an Avigilon dealer I would like to see how useful/accurate this feature is before I start selling sites on the hardware and software upgrades necessary for it to function.  Aside from better site level license management it is the primary feature released in ACC6.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 31, 2017

Qognify's Situator Solution and (PSIM lite) Visionhub.  Both I think are excellent in concept and promote the direction our industry needs to be moving.  That being integration across disparate platforms, event driven step-by-step end user designed SOPs and automated reporting.  But in reality my educated guess is it is extremely expensive to implement requiring significant time (=money) commitments by Qognify, the integrator and the end user.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #8
Dec 01, 2019

This is true for situator which is a platform not a product (as the Qognify people reminded us repeatedly during our VisionHub integrator training) qhich is why in addition to a Q approved integrator Q requires 4 weeks of company provided intehrator swrvices.

VisionHub on the other hand is a fully baked product that should be installable by any Q trained integrator (we self integrate which is why we went to training). Stil haven't purchased VisionHub but we have an open RFP for Situator implementation.

Rwquest that IPVM do an independent evaluation of VisionHub ASAP.

Scott Lindley
Mar 31, 2017
Farpointe Data, Inc.

Would be interested in seeing a testing comparing OEM access control hardware products, such as those offered by Mercury Security, HID, et al.

(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Mar 31, 2017

Facial Recognition Analytics. This is again becoming hot topic customers as some companies are pushing their solutions with some incredible accuracy claims. 

(4)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Mar 31, 2017
(2)
(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Latest release of Lenel OnGuard VMS would be great.  We are trying to decide if we want to wait until our international roll out is complete (some time in 2018) before we upgrade or just bite the bullet and do it now.  We have issues that theoretically might/could/possibly/maybe be fixed by upgrading, but it could also cause us numerous issues on top of the ones we are already experiencing.  Actually OnGuard as a whole would be nice.

An example of a major issue we are encountering now is we can't pull up ANY live video from remote sites.  We need to go directly through the cameras browser interface or pull up recorded video.  We have one computer out of the 30 or so in the department that CAN display the live video.  SO that has made it tough to determine if it is a Lenel issue or something on our end.  Anyway, that is just one example of many.

MC
Marty Calhoun
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Save yourself now and buy OPEN OPTIONS and never look back at LENEL.

Ross Vander Klok
Apr 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Just the video portion is causing problems at the moment not ready to pull the plug yet!

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

How about Dahua's IVS? 

Reason? Dahua is one of the larger manufacturers and it would be nice to see if their IVS actually works at a low cost point.

AS
AIDAN SMITH
Apr 03, 2017

Top 10 fixed cameras

Top 10 PTZ cameras

Top 10 360 cameras

Top 10 TVi/CVI systems

Top 10 ip over copper links

Top 10 up over fiber links

Top 10 up wireless links

Top 10 VMS/record 

Top VA software

Top display wall software

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 04, 2017

This might be interesting:

1. Take 10 low cost NVRs.

2. Connect to the internet with every method available to that NVR - port forwarding, P2P etc.

3. Use standard "just plug it in" security methods (AKA none).

4. If possible identify how long it takes for the devices to be compromised.

(3)
RS
Robert Shih
Apr 04, 2017
Independent

Connector stress test & performance shootout.

BS
Bob Schenck
Apr 10, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I'd like to see a test of these cheap 125KHz card copiers that are all over eBay and Amazon.  I'm curious if they actually work.  There are a few different designs that I see and most are under $20.

(3)
(2)
Brian Rhodes
Apr 11, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello Bob:

Thanks for the suggestion.  We bought this one to test.  It claims to do HID 125 kHz formats too, which makes it especially threatening to North American access control systems.

Look for our test results in the coming weeks!

(4)
JH
John Honovich
May 01, 2017
IPVM

Update: the test is now released: Hack Your Access Control With This $30 HID 125kHz Card Copier. And they work.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #6
Apr 11, 2017

I'd like you guys to open up some cameras, identify the CPUs inside and amount of onboard memory, and see if you can make some comparisons about camera computational power among various brands and models.

Ethan Ace
Apr 11, 2017

We actually have been opening up some cameras. It's been lower priority, but I'm starting to get around to doing something with it. In the process we'll try and take a look at those aspects in more detail. Stay tuned.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Apr 12, 2017

How about testing the viability of booth babes?  Get two 10x10 booths under made up companies - see who gets the most quality leads.

(1)
(1)
UI
Apr 13, 2017

SDS Shooter Detection Systems

http://shooterdetectionsystems.com/

Integrated with Avigilon, Milestone, Exacq, Genetec, Software House, Lenel (dry contacts).  

Getting good projects and press it seems, I am certainly interested and the demand is growing.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #8
Dec 01, 2019

Qognify VisionHub. There is no independent information on this solution which purports to offer recorder based capabilities (VA and suspect search) and a flexible architecture not available with other major competitors. We are needing to choose a new VMS and recording platform quickly with the loss of Interlogix Truvision and are leaning towards Vision Hub but need independent assessment.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 01, 2019
IPVM

quickly with the loss of Interlogix Truvision and are leaning towards Vision Hub but need independent assessment.

Is there something VisionHub is claiming to do that you can't find in others? To be clear, I am not opposed to Vision Hub, it's just an atypical request as most end users choose other enterprise platforms.

UE
Undisclosed End User #8
Dec 02, 2019

So it starts with two facts

1) We have selected Qognify Situator as our PSIM platform to replace our EOL/EOS AMS, UTC Lenel Facilty commander. We have an RFP out for integrators

2) The unexpected need to replace our Interlogix Truvision environment of 18 years.

Q VisionHub has the advantage of being implemented as either appliance/NVR architecture or Centrally hosted on our VMs and SQL cluster or as a Hybrid of the two. QVH would also natively integrate into the Situator platform.

The suspect search feature is a different approach to smart searching accross video streams. Also compelling is the fact that they are a non-china provider of NVR appliances (Dell sourced Hardware running their Smart Video Recorder SVR software)

For majority of users who are NOT implementing a PSIM Q VisionHub provides a subset of the situator capability within the product.

There is much discussion on IPVM of Qognify's purchase of ONSSI and the impact on Ocularis. Qognify seems committed to VisionHub as its' future VMS so some independent assessment of the QVH platform would be beneficial to the community.

(1)
Cary Menage
Dec 02, 2019
IPVMU Certified

Nortek Mobile Access Reader BluePass Examined

Can IPVM procure RBH Blueline for comparison?:

Blueline - Bluetooth and NFC Readers

RBH Access Technologies Inc. - Blueline

Reason for testing is that I suspect they are contenders for best price/performance ratio for Mobile Pass readers

UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Dec 03, 2019

I request RBH Blueline readers. My reason, they claim free virtual credentials.

JS
Jonathan Strauss
Dec 03, 2019

MPTL Connectors, I used some Z-Plugs think they're pretty nifty but it seems like they won't work in certain cameras.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Dec 11, 2019

I would like to see testing and comparisons between the ButterflyMX and MVI systems, These 2 Intercom/entry systems look very similar.

Would also be interested in your thoughts on Umbo.

If anyone has any feedback or experience with these companies that would be great as well.

Mark Rindy
Dec 12, 2019

Radar shootout! Seems to be all the rage these days.

Daniel S-T
Dec 12, 2019

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Dec 22, 2019

AXIS P5655-E vs Q6075-E vs older Q6125 vs Hikvision IX-range (which seems to be EOS soon).

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions